Author Topic: Anyone using Nitrogen in there tires?  (Read 17736 times)

Offline DARK AGE 53

Anyone using Nitrogen in there tires?
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:04:07 pm »
what's the cost per tire, thanks.

Al

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Anyone using Nitrogen in there tires?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:04 pm »
Al,

I used it cuz it was free but didn't see much differance in PSI build up. So it wasn't really worth the effert.  Not sure I would spend money on it. Hope this helps.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline tch38

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 12:40:20 am »
I used it for years in Karting and this helped the PSI build up. I am using it for my legend but I am way to new for input. The cost is cheap last time I filled my tank was about $30 for about 1/2 the size of a helium tank or large welding bottle. I know some people use a air dryer probable all 1/2 doz. Also how do you mount your tires with air? (could be wet air)
Unlike most sports racing takes two balls!!!

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm just using the air from my compressor to fill the tires now...I do have a filter on it but there's probably  still moisture in the air.
POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 06:09:21 pm »
What is the price on the nitrogen tank when you first buy it?  I'm just using a little moisture filter on my compressor also.

Also, Harbor Freight has this dryer that I would imagine would work since you are just trying to get something dry in the tires.  At $30 a refill for a nitrogen bottle, it would take a while for this thing to pay for itself.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40211

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
 With the radial tires, you don't have near the problems as we had with the old bias ply tires.  The radials don't tend to grow so much as the air in the tires heats up.
I would just go with a simple seperator type filter system (moisture filters). Then, maybe look into some bleeders for the wheels. Might be the lesser of the evils in the long run. Also, would cost less money. I'm thinking more bang for my buck to go that route.

My .02 for what it's worth.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:30:09 pm »
Steve,Steve,Steve,

Bleeders are not legal for INEX events........................LOL. But heck I have seen far more than that.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:32:28 pm »
LOL!

I'm not running INEX.

Call me bad!!!  ;D

Ok, I'll play fair.
 I would still go with the moisture filter system on the compressor and call it good.
Mostly, I will not be running long enough for it to affect me much.

Steve

Offline tch38

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:14:47 pm »
I am not sure of the cost for a tank I did some trading for it long ago. The dryer I am talking about is a desacant type

Offline tch38

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 12:08:37 am »
Ok all had to fill my tank $18.50 for 80 cubic feet. Tank  cost $170  filled 1st time.

FunFunFun

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 09:58:47 pm »
For a cheaper alternitive to industrial tanks you can use  scuba tanks for pure nitrogen talk to your local paintball place. The dive shop that I went to seems to have a problem filling a breathing tanks with a gas that you can't breath . At least the guy at the dive shop that I went to called me "crazy" even when I told him what I was doing with it, but one of his clients chased me out in the parking lot and gave me directions to a paintball place that would fill my tanks no problem . I only went this route because since 9 11 bringing industrial tanks across the border into the States was becoming a crap shoot  but the US and Canadian customs officers don't even look twice at scuba tanks. I fill them to 3500 psi plenty to pop the tires on the bead

Chris

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:08:34 pm »
OK Chris,

Now I really want to talk!  I've got a scuba tank I was just thinking of turning over to nitrogen.  Wouldn't mind talking to the lads that filled yours for you.

How much by the way?

Mike

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:23:27 pm »
As an ex- scuba diver, I wonder as to the safety and legal factors. Most normal scuba tanks are rated for 3,000# PSI...
Your putting in an extra 500# PSI. Do you really think that to be safe? Age and condition of tank are taken into consideration also. I had a tank drilled because it didn't pass tech. Doesn't necessarily mean that it wouldn't hold air... Just means it was deemed unsafe.
Dive shops here in the states are regulated by government as to what they can do as far as filling tanks. That's not to say that some might not do it anyway.
Border Patrol and Homeland Security may want to have several words with you were you to be caught hauling something other than oxygen in scuba tanks across the border. Might make them wonder what you are up to. ?

I will agree that nitrogen has less water content ( about 10 parts per million vs compressed air at about 500 parts per million) and thus minimizes pressure build up.
Using less soap and water to mount the tire will also minimize the amount of moisture. Why I suggested Windex as a lubricant to mount tires... It evaporates... Also helps clean and seal the tire to the wheel.

A quick quote from "Dwarf Car Technology" by Steve Smith:

"To set your tire pressure for a main event, first determine what the optimum tire pressure is for each tire. Record this. Then determine how much the pressure build up is after running 25 laps. Before the main event begins, take out the amount of build up you expect from the tires. By mid to late in the race, your tires should be at there optimum operating pressure."   

Some food for thought. This theory has worked for me in the past with my modified (using compressed air).  NASCAR, World of Outlaw Sprints, Indy Car.............. They all use the same theory, even when using nitrogen. Kind of a crap shoot, whichever way you decide to go.

Mike,

tch38 posted this:

"Ok all had to fill my tank $18.50 for 80 cubic feet. Tank  cost $170  filled 1st time."

Do a Google search. Stuff is pricey for our short runs.

All the above is just my humble oppinion.
Do what you think is best for you.

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 03:12:40 pm »
Here is something I found on Harbor Freight that might work pretty good.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97686

FunFunFun

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 06:04:56 pm »
I have been crossing the boarder to race for more than 30 years .The boarder  always looks at my cutting torch tanks if they look at my stuff at all but

not my scuba tanks.

I will repeat myself I have never had a problem at the boarder coming or going. I don't think I fit the profile they are looking for,every time ive been

held up its because the officer thought my car was cool, I always take time to answer any fans questions,so this was no bother to me

Tanks are rated at a 4 to 1 safety rating that means that a 3000 psi tank has been tested to 12000 psi ,and they are rated for various  beathing gasses

that do expand with heat nitrogen does not. nitrogen is a much bigger mollicule than oxegen.  It does not leak as much as air. oxegen will bleed

through a tire .The air that we breath is 70% nitrogen 30% oxegen anyway . nitrogen is not  that dangerous just don't try to breath it

in its pure state its no different than a fire supression system in this way . I don't ever use any liquid to pop the bead on I use

charcoal streight out of the fire pit, it will get them on and it seems to get absorbed into the tires or somthing, Ive heard some of my older freinds call

it (black bead lock) it realy holds a tire at low pressure.  When I do mount a new tire I always leave it over night at 40 psi then bleed it down in the

morning this helps to set it good . I use a paintball regulator, you can also run an impact or ratchet off one of these tanks ,hell even a nail gun if

you feel like it.

I got my tanks filled at Sgt. Splaters in TO  I never paid more than $20, there must be a paintball place in Ottawa that will fill tanks ,

try looking up paintball Ottawa on google . My tanks are current and  US Customs ,Canada Customs and the  NHRA saftey

safari never had a problem with them ,and beleive me  the NHRA is huge on saftey.

I don't know anything about this at all but I have been told that hellium in a tire will reduce your unsprung wheight ,seems to make sence .

Does anyone know anything about this?