Author Topic: Engine smoking  (Read 15468 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine smoking
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 12:24:50 am »
Another thought...
 OK, they say they ran the engine - no smoke.
Did they run it up to temp, or just fire it up and say yep it runs?  ???

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 10:22:42 am »
They said that it was up to temp. 

Last night I tried my new leakdown tester and evidently it is defective.  It only reads 25% no matter what I do with it (including putting my finger on the end of the hose or just leaving the hose open).  My garage has a curse on it.  When I was trying it, one cylinder made a small popping noise at about 30 PSI and then was really hissing air into the crank case.  The other 3 hissed but not as loud.  I pulled the headers and had soot in all the the exhaust runners and oil on one of them.  Did not see oil in the muffler.  I'll try the replacement leakdown tester, but I think that this may have gotten beyond my small engine skill level.  Guess I will be shipping it off to someone.  I checked in with some of the local dwarf racers and they did not have any buildings within a couple hours of St. Louis.   

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 11:19:10 am »
If you can hear air coming out of the crankase breather I would think you have a ring issue or hole/crack in a piston.  Did the oil in the header tube match the cylinder that was leaking a lot?

Make sure you read teh directions on how to set the leak down gauge if you havent used one before.  They can be tricky and can very easily be set and used wrong.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline legendcar49

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 08:18:26 am »
You may want to look into a new motor if your old one needs rebuilding. With the new trade in policy that 600 Racing is offering you may be able to get a new sealed motor for about the same price as a rebuild. 600 Midwest has a few in stock (I don't work for them). There website is www.Koiltour.com 

Bob Johnson

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:48 am »
I ran it with just the open headers and the front cylinder was smoking the most.  I did notice that the header pipe is loose in the sleeve that goes into the head so not sure if that could be making it worse.  The collar holds the sleeve in but the pipe is still a little loose.  Not sure if it is welded or a press fit.   

The second gauge on the replacement leakdown tester jams ($30 from Harbor Freight), so I'm going to just replace it with a decent gauge.  Still cheaper than buying one somewhere else.       

speedyracing11

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 10:28:08 pm »
Look to make sure the gasket is there. Have you checked the valve clearances. How about one of the valve seals come loose. Call Hank Scott and ask him if he has any advice for your problem. He helped me out with  low compression problem.My valves were way out of adjustment.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 10:15:51 pm »
Sounds like rings to me, especilly if the compression is 200  not good, leakdown is a must it will tell you what you need to know, keep us informed.

Mike.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 10:12:00 am »
It's at the shop this week, so hope to have some answers soon.  I'd drop a weed eater motor in at this point just so I could get on the race track. 

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 09:54:38 pm »
Did you get an answer on the smoking problem?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 09:58:04 pm »
Hi Randy,
 I've been keeping track of this thread. At last report, still no word from his engine builder.

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 10:37:05 am »
Still waiting to here back on the engine.  Hoping to get this resolved soon so that I can get in a little racing this year. 

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 05:18:56 pm »
Looks like the cylinders and rings are worn out.  They are also taking a look at the bearings since I found some some chips in the oil filter screen.  When I pulled the screen a few weeks ago at night covered with thick oil it looked OK, but after the oil draining off for weeks and in daylight I noticed some copper looking slivers.  Hopefully the parts will be in this week.   

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 10:34:06 pm »
At this point, You might as well go ahead and have bearings and all done. They already have your engine apart. JUST DO IT!!!
You pretty much missed the season anyway.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 12:06:13 am »
Did they steal your engine? Or are you going to get it back sometime soon?
If I keep waiting. I may die of old age.  :P
 ;D

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 04:15:14 pm »
This week, hopefully.