Author Topic: rolling the caster  (Read 6870 times)

speedyracing11

rolling the caster
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:00:24 pm »
What does rolling the caster forward on the right front.And will it increase or decrease camber.

Offline elimn8u_43

Re: rolling the caster
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:28:39 am »
Here is the "Caster Master" setup. http://bevanboysracing.informe.com/viewtopic.php?p=105#105 . If you are looking to add more positive caster on the right front you will gain camber.

Geoff

speedyracing11

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:50:20 pm »
I kind of meant what would it do for handling wise.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:31:03 pm »
More caster will make the steering heavier and the car more stable. From the camber gain created the car will turn better through the center of the corner. Also using more caster will allow you to run more wedge in the car because as the steering wheel is turned the car will de-wedge. I hope this helps.

Geoff

speedyracing11

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:27:44 pm »
when i changed from steel to the aluminum spindles.I measured the points center to center on the upper a frame and somehow got 6 degrees caster on the right side and 5.5 camber after i swiched over to the new ones.The car ran good but i usually run 3 caster and 4.5 camber.With 1 degree caster on the left.That is a 5 degree split.I want to try it at 3 for now and it brought my camber back to 4.5.Will it push coming in with the 3 degrees coming in.My son drives in real hard and is just a smig tight coming out.Not bad though.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:38:42 am »
Caster split is more driver preference. The more the split the more that the car will want to turn left. This can be bad if you are fighting to keep it straight when going straight.

Geoff

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 04:12:14 pm »
Your caster wont make or brake the car, I wouldnt suggest using it to fix handling issues.  I would suggest just setting it at LF-1  and RF- 3 to 4.  Set it and just check it periodically to make sure nothing changes.  Its more of a driver preference adjustment if 4deg is too hard to steer for you then run 3 in the RF.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

anything