Author Topic: How Did : Getting Started  (Read 7937 times)

Offline Nightwater

How Did : Getting Started
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:37 pm »
How did you guys get started In bandoleros, and why?  Also how long did it take for you to get used to it?
Any help or response would prove helpful

Curtis

Offline Bando 9

• Go big or go home
Re: How Did : Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:45 am »
Get spare parts and get a enclosed trailer are some of the best things. But learn your engine and that will help you alot.

Chance 8)
Try your best at the track or dont come !

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:37:39 am »
No offense, but I have to completely disagree with Chance. While I dont run Bandos, I would rather see you spend your money on other things than a big-a$$ trailer and loads of spares.  Spend your money on getting a better car, get a few guys together and rent the track for an afternoon, seat time is more valuable than just about anything when you're starting out, and spend your time at the track in the pits getting friendly with the other drivers. Most everyone Ive encountered is willing to help.
Especially at $4/gallon +, an enclosed trailer, while being overkill and expensive, will sap your gas mileage also. At least 2 of the legends guys I run with sold their big boxes and went to open trailers this year just for the gas savings. As far as spares, the dealer will be at the track, so if you break something, you can get what you need there, and pay him next week if you dont have the cash on you.

Just my .02
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »
I got started in the Bandolero for my sons. I race a Legends and they want to race to. Seat time is my biggest suggestion and keep an eye as to what is happening if front. My son at 11 years old made his first start in the Bando and finished 6th out of 14 cars just by keeping clean.

Geoff

Offline Nightwater

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:50:10 pm »
Lots of Great Feedback thanks Guys, But I also got some great info from someone saying to go Do like a Karting Test or something to get familiar with The style and Driving. Now I'm not saying its not good Info, I just want to know what you guys think about it.

-Curtis

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:58:35 pm »
Curtis,
 Karts or Bandos would be a good place to start.
You know my thoughts.  ;)

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:52:47 pm »
I agree with VMS.  Seat time is the biggest thing you can do to help yourself on the track.  Save the money on a big trailer, spend the money on getting seat time.  It's what will get you comfortable enough on the track to be competitive. 

If you haven't got a car yet, take a course, even if it's one day.  It too will pay off well when you get to the track.  A good course will explain some of the theory on how to drive the track, where to begin the turns, where to start breaking (probably not much braking needed in bandos). 

An enclosed trailer is a luxury that you can save for once you're in and hooked.  In the beginning you just need the car, tires, and an open trailer.  Most other racers on the track will be happy to lend you part if your dealer isn't there.

Good luck and have fun.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline Bando 9

• Go big or go home
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 09:06:45 am »
they are right i got a enclosed trailer my second year. But a nother thing is don't give u on the track u wont go out there and win a race u need to get use to it. and ask all the questions u need to on here some one smart will answer them

Chance 8)

Offline Nightwater

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:14:43 am »
So what did you tell the Dealer when you first bought the car? Like what did you ask and stuff?

Offline Bando 9

• Go big or go home
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:36 am »
I asked him how the engine runs and were can i race and how to drive the car.

Chance 8)

anything