LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

What's wrong?

(1/2) > >>

MegaMang:
So here is the situation...

Going down the back stretch coming out of the corner and pouring on the gas, the engine revs right up and starts to burp, so obviously hitting the rev limiter.  This wouldn't be a problem except I'm going nowhere near fast enough.  The car is not bucking or swerving, easy to handle still.  Can't feel the wheels letting loose, so don't think that's it.  I let off the gas a bit and it stops revving so high right away.  Hmm... I thinks to myself maybe you've been riding the clutch without realizing it, so tuck my foot behind the clutch pedal.  Out of the next corner, lay on the gas, and it starts again...  This time I know it's not me riding the clutch for sure, so into the corner, and I start to hit the gas hard in the middle of the corner, and don't come around.  Now I figure for sure, I'm not breaking loose.

I checked to see if both wheels are locked up with the car in gear and the wheels off the ground, and both wheels are locked.  So probably not a broken axle... 

What is the most likely culprit?  Clutch plates worn, clutch springs loosened off, something entirely different?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Mike

fasass47:
sounds like the clutch to me

racerrad8:
Mike,

Don't rule out the broken axle or stripped spool yet . Do you have the two piece or billet axles? If you have the billet, then you will know when that style breaks. I have had many two peice axle break inside the welded coupler, but not break the axle into two pieces. The best way to check this is to make a mark on both tires with the car sitting still at the 12' o clock position. Take your car for a quick trip up your street making at least one turn, and romping on  the throttle. If the marks are in different positions, it can be one of two things; the axle is broken or the spool has stripped the splines. I have personally lost a total of three spools from being stripped out. (thats another subject for later).

If the marks stay aligned, then your clutch is slipping. Depending on the pressure plate sytem you are using determines the repair(s) needed. If you have caught the slippage early enough the the clutch will be okay. Shoot me an email about which pressure plate you are using and I can recommend the repair you needo rgive me a call and I will talk you through it.

Randy - RPM
rpm@swaybar.com
(209)492-0670

RickyBobby:
I just wanted to say Randy what a great post that was.  You sure know your stuff and seem like a great resource.

IraceLegends77:
Randy has good points but it sounds like a clutch to me also. Randy's has a quick and easy way to find out . Randy I have to ask though how are you going through so many spools? I have never hurt one. You must have 250hp in your car........LOL

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version