Author Topic: New Inex rear axle housing issues  (Read 5081 times)

Offline lemtracy

New Inex rear axle housing issues
« on: March 15, 2023, 10:27:06 pm »
Ordered a new rear axle housing and when I went to put the axles back in it the bearing wouldn't go into the housing, I measured the OD of the axle bearings with a micrometer and both measured 2.865/72mm and set my dial bore gauge to that dimension then checked the housing where the bearing goes, on the left side the bearing bore is out of round plus .0025 to small one way and .001 to small the other way on the right side the bearing bore was round but ID of the housing measured the same as the OD of the bearing. Has anybody run into that issue and if so what was the solution? It was to late in the day to call the Legends dealer where the housing came from so I will try to call tomorrow.

Thanks
Larry

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: New Inex rear axle housing issues
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 02:37:18 am »
Hi Larry!,
One reason that this could happen; Is first, did you get your housing from a reputable dealer, or just buy it from a private party?  Reason I bring this up is because some people advertise their junk as good usable stuff. I will also mention the straightness of the axles. Not that this may be the cause of your problems if your axles are straight; But because some people don't keep track of these things until it has damaged the housing, or whatever part. Then they sell it off as spares or good, usable parts. This happens in all types of racing.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline lemtracy

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 08:35:37 am »
Steve, Thanks for the reply, Yes the housing was bought new from a reputable dealer a month ago, The 3rd member isn't even in the housing I was checking to see the depth so I could put the seals in it when I ran into this issue. I will call them today and see what they say but I think the only fix is another new housing, I would say USLC has a run of bad housings with mis machined flanges on them.

Larry

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 12:30:23 pm »
Larry,

Best of luck. Let us know the outcome of your issue.

Steve

Offline lemtracy

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 06:01:36 pm »
Thanks Steve
we are new to Legends cars as this is the first one and we were doing some chassis updates and decided to replace the rear housing because the old one was cracked and had been welded once already. This morning I called the dealer where the housing came from and he is checking with USLC(that's where the housings come from)to see if they had had any issues but i have not heard back yet.

thanks again
Larry

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 02:01:55 am »
Larry,

Not all housings come from USLC. That aside, I hope it doesn't take you dealer long to get a replacement. You can't buy these Toyota parts new. They come from old Toyota Celica's, Corollas and Corona's. Same with rear brakes, front hubs and such.

Where are you going to be racing?

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 02:10:17 am »
Do look at the sticky topic about what parts these cars are using.