Author Topic: An ongoing topic on the internet; Looking to get into racing  (Read 3590 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
An ongoing topic I keep seeing on the Facebook pages is new folks wanting to get into the sport. AWESOME!!!! I see an influx of newbies wanting to buy a "cheap" bando or legends. After I got done snorting my coffee out my nose; I made a post of my own. It is great to see new folks interested in legend and bandos!!! We have even seen some of the effects of here on this website because of the influx of new people wanting to get into the sport of motor racing. WAY COOL!!!!! My post basically covered things that a lot of new folks don't think about before throwing out a lot of money to buy a car. FIRST: Read The Rulebook. That will determine if this is the form of motorsports for you. BUDGET: If your pockets are full of money, this is not an issue. If, like most of us, you have a certain amount of expendable cash and want to go racing; How much are you willing to spend? Starting out, you will have the expense of the race car of your choice. Don't post ads like "seeking cheap bando or legends car". You will get 40 requests for your location, people all over the country offering up cars. I always get the urge to be a smata$$ and tell them "Sorry, no cars are available". LOL!!! Back to the "budget". Besides the car, you will need a way to haul it. Truck/Trailer. Then you have to think about RACING GEAR. Helmets, suits, gloves, head and neck restraints, shoes, maybe even a seat. Lets throw in the cost of INEX membership and/or cost of track membership(s). REPAIRS: Yes, damage does occur in racing! If you bought a car with spare parts, that is a plus! If you bought a car that needs "some updates or repairs"; How does that effect your budget? ENGINES: In legends cars, there are both open and sealed engines. If you are a fairly good mechanic, an open engine is a good option. Sealed engine programs require the engine to be shipped to USLC for repair or rebuilding. Again; BUDGET! I'm leaving out a whole lot of other things; But I hope this posts give some of you thought.

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: An ongoing topic on the internet; Looking to get into racing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 08:29:17 pm »
Another thing I want to throw out there for people looking at racing and purchasing a car; Just because their advertisement says, "championship winning car", or "proven winner", only tells you that the car is capable of winning. Most of this will depend on your driver's ability. Not often that a first-time driver is going to win their first race. That will depend on experience. Pay for this "blue sky"  what you think it's worth to you. A $5,000 car and a $17,000 car are only capable of what your driver is capable of driving and his or her experience. Price will also vary with what is included for spares. Take this into account as well. There will likely be set up changes to be made. Not all people drive the same style. Perhaps you will be racing at a different track. Set up between dirt tracks and pavement tracks are different as well. This applies to both Bando and Legends Cars!!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 04:08:59 am »
Yet more cars for sale today. One was $25,000 with spares (not specified) and a couple of pics in the winner's circle. Most parts new (within the last 14 months). He is planning to continue to race it until sold. If this sounds like it is within your budget, go for it!!! As to what it's condition will be next week is a crapshoot! Buyer beware!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 03:37:54 pm »
PLEASE! PLEASE!! PLEASE!!!
When posting an ad looking for a used car, Please don't make posts that are very non-specific. Here are just a few of the 15-20 ads I read this week:

1) ISO a car.
2) ISO a Bando for my son.
3) Any cars for sale?

These are common ads that are placed on various web pages. No information of any kind as to what they are looking for. New/Used? Legends car or daily driver? Where are you located? (This is always one of the first questions asked by people with cars to sell) Sedan or Coupe? (This is directed to the Legends car searcher)

I DO understand that you are excited to get into the sport of racing!

DO:

1) Post the area you are located and/or area you are willing to travel.
2) If you prefer a coupe over a sedan, specify this in your ad.
3) If you prefer a new car or looking for a used car.
4) Read the ads of cars for sale on whatever web page(s) you are searching.
5) Answer replies promptly

And, as I ALWAYS advise; READ THE RULEBOOK!!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 08:21:58 pm »
A good one today on the Facebook pages. Guy had a picture of what looks like a complete car. Chassis looked pretty much together. A driveway full of parts. Presumedly, enough to complete the car. 4 questions later, I decided to answer the questions of where he was located. Yes, I took the time to look him up! I posted his location and asked what his price was. Reply was to message him. The other 4 questioners did not get a direct reply from him. I suggested he post his location, price and details. His reply was then perhaps this wasn't the car for me. I agreed and moved on.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 12:33:45 am »
One this evening turned into a lot of whining about how far away any given car is. If you post what area you are searching, there are cars within reason of you. Yes, some areas will be a bit harder than others. Doesn't mean they don't exist. Yes, if cars are not as plentiful in your area, you may have to travel farther. Or perhaps a friend might be traveling somewhere that has a car in your budget.