Author Topic: Air filters  (Read 13306 times)

FFmedic

Air filters
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:47:10 pm »
I took my filters off and there was dirt sucked into each carb.  Is that normal?  I would think not.  Is there supposed to be oil on the filter like in an ATV?  I cleaned them and I'm looking for answers before I put them back on.

thanks

Joe

Offline thunder938

Re: Air filters
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 06:11:37 pm »
I have the K&N filters and when I clean them I reoil them before I put them back on...

Dave
Dave

FFmedic

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:21:41 pm »
Right now I just have the stock foam.  I wanna get K&N style ones hopfully this summer. 
Thanks
Joe

Offline tch38

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:05:21 am »
I also have the stock foam type filter who oils them who doesn't???
Unlike most sports racing takes two balls!!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 05:37:32 am »
Dirt is a normal thing.
YES! I would oil them like an ATV.

Dave (Thunder938) gave good advice!
Oil them...............
 K&N OR STOCK.

Look at your daily driver...............
Do you need to replace the air filter every so often?

YES!!!
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:13:38 pm »
Spend the $60 on the K&N filters, and clean and oil them every week. Its kinda like the safety equipment issue...go cheap and you $#%@ yourself...wouldnt you rather spend a little now than alot lot lot lot more later?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

FFmedic

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 11:37:25 pm »
Yep, gonna get them next month.  gotta save a bit up first, just bought some spare parts today.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Joe

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 04:44:43 am »
Joe,
 You can get by with stock ..........
Just be sure to take care of them!

I like the K&N, because I think they flow better; and they are reusable. Will save you money in the long run, and give you a bit of a horsepower advantage.  JMHO.
I have always had good luck with them in the past.

My .02

Steve

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 10:11:25 am »
One thing I have learned over the years is that the K&N filters are very expensive and prone to failure. The biggest issue is the camshaft overlap that creates a mist to come out of the carbs during wide open throttle. The cotton/fiber paper of the K&N is then washed of the filtration oil, and the filter is not working properly. After a short period of time, the filter media then breaks down providing poor filtration. The second issue with them is when they get hit in an accident and pushed & pulled during installation the filter media also tears.

I have used the foam filters on all of my cars since 1996.  The car came with K&N's but the carbs were always dirty. I use the UNI filter cleaning/oil kit. I primarily roadrace and the filters are ready for cleaning after everyweekend. Plus they work the best in the rain.

I do not use the 600 racing UNI filter, I have UNI make a filter for me. This filter is a dual media filter with a course media on the outside and a finer media on the inside.  I have plenty in stock in anyone is interested. They are priced the same as the 600 filter, but it is a better unit.

I rebuild upwards of 50 sets of carbs a year, and I can always tell when someone doesn't maintain their filters properly. I always recommend they use the foam filter, it is more user friendly, and is much more durable.

As far a performance is concerned, I have tested every K&N  from the big oval to individuals, and foam filters from the dual pod to the old green indivdual foams, and they all perform the same on the stopwatch. I have put INEX championship cars on the front cover of the rule books for the last two years and those cars all use the foam filters.

I have tried to attached photo of a circle track guys car that cleaned his K&N's "when they looked dirty", or once a month. I have a set of carbs on top that just came out of my ultrasonic cleaner. He now uses the foam filters and he tells me they look like the top set everytime he removes them. If anyone is interested in seeing the photos, I will have to email directly to you, so send me an email.

Let me know if I can be of assistance,
                    Randy - RPM
                    rpm@swaybar.com
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:31 am »
So I have been told to go to  the local Auto Parts store and buy the K&N Air Filter cleaner and then buy the K&N filter oil will this work to clean my K&N Air filters on a 1250 ?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 08:21:45 pm »
Yes. Be sure not to over oil the foam filters.

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 09:00:54 am »
It says to spray the oil so they look sightly red. is that correct and to also let it dry as well

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 10:57:32 am »
Assuming that you are referring to the larger non foam oblong filters with chrome end caps, you can clean them with soap and water and then letting them air dry. I would suggest using a 2-3 gallon pail with Dawn or Palmolive dish wash soap and warm water. Let them soak for awhile, slosh them back & forth in the pail a few times, and then rinse them with clean warm water. Let them dry for at least 24 hours and then yes, lightly spray them(I used the aerosol cans) with the K&N filter oil around the entire plenum so they slightly look red. Do not overoil them to the point of oil dripping all over the place. The K&N filter oil is not made to clean the filters, only to aid in the process of assisting the filter plenum material capturing very small dirt particles.

Good luck!  ;)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 04:20:14 pm »
I have the K&N filters and I bought the K&N Air Filter cleaning kit