Author Topic: Open trailer facing reverse - anyone tried it?  (Read 5139 times)

Offline chris

Open trailer facing reverse - anyone tried it?
« on: May 24, 2021, 05:54:15 pm »
Hi all, this may be really dumb but has anyone pull their Legend facing reverse on an open trailer? 

My brother and I have a 20' open trailer and 2 cars and it has been working well (thanks for the advice in the other thread) but we need a new tow vehicle since my work is getting stingy about me borrowing their truck, and we don't have room to fit a pickup.  There are a few SUVs that have a 5k tow rating and the trailer weighs about 4,500 lbs with the cars on it, but the only way to get the tongue weight into the 450 range is to put the cars in reversed.  I know it's a big no-no for motorcycles that also have flimsy bodies, so I'm worried it might blow out the windshield or something.  I also have seen how much damage a flapping tarp can do - through maybe a heavy tarp would work.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Open trailer facing reverse - anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 03:35:47 pm »
Chris,  I was hoping others with larger open trailers would chime in. My open trailer is pretty small. My best guess is that there is no reason you can't load them on backwards... The windshields may be a concern if you are towing longer distances and at highway speeds? ??? My windshield has zsus fasteners; So it is easy to pull it out if necessary. I don't think the rest of the bodywork is to much of a concern. I hope someone with more knowledge will give you some thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline chris

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:42:36 pm »
Thanks for the idea about the dzus fasteners.  I was thinking about cutting a piece of plastic and using gaffer tape to attach it to cut the direct through air, but that is a better way of doing it.  Our local track is about 200 miles of mostly straight highway each way, which is why I was concerned. 

Offline mafiaboss

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 03:45:22 pm »
I would think they would be fine.  Test it out with 1 and have someone follow you. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 12:02:55 am »
Well this subject came up last month when a friend hauled his cars on an open trailer. The wind caught under the hood and ripped the hood off the car. Pretty much why I posted about being careful of the windshield (if you have a lexan or plexiglass windshield). The air, as you are traveling, can catch on almost anything that gives it resistance. I guarantee it will rip that part off!

Steve.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.