Author Topic: Driveshaft Clearance Concerns  (Read 5792 times)

Offline jhendri542

Driveshaft Clearance Concerns
« on: February 03, 2021, 02:45:39 pm »
I was checking out my car I recently purchased and noticed that driveshaft comes really close to one of the frame rails near at the connection to the differential.  Is this normal?  Also I noticed that the driveshaft adapter looks like it rubbed a bolt?  What is that bolt for and can it be tightened?  It seems as right side motor mount was optional on these cars, it looks like I do not have one.  How necessary are they?  Will having that additional mount help out with the clearance?  I have attached some pictures.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Driveshaft Clearance Concerns
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 05:48:39 pm »
No, that does not look normal.
As far as I know, the motor mounts  (left and right) are required (as per rule book). Not even sure how you would mount the engine without both motor mounts. ??? Check the pinion angle as well. The driveshaft shouldn't be that tight in there.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 07:38:51 pm »
According to the owner's manual the right side was an option.  A little history about this car.  It was purchased for Shriner's parades and has never been raced.  That owner passed away and the previous owner was going to make a street rod out of it.  He has so many other projects, he decided to see if anybody else was interested in it.  I really liked it because it did not look like a race car with all the stickers.  That style looks cool, but not the best for a "sleeper" look.  Also, hasn't been smacked up in a race either!   So, maybe that is why it does not have it, since they knew it wasn't going to be racing.

If the pinion angle was off, what is a good way to correct that? Loosen the engine mounts and move it around?  Also keep in mind that I have the rotating rings towards the top of the shock and I am on 15s right now, so that might have an effect too.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:44:55 pm »
Here is a picture of the right side of my engine.  Maybe somebody with a Legends chassis and XJ engine can give some feedback. Edit:  Looks like there were two ways to mount the engine:
". The right side motor mount may be
replaced with the optional motor mount as delivered by
U.S. Legend Cars International (if the optional right side
mount is used, you may remove the stock right side
mounting tabs). "

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 12:14:27 am »
21. 1200 / 1250 ENGINE LOCATION & MOUNTS:
Left and right-side engine mounts must remain
within the Stock dimensions, steel thickness (no
aluminum mounts), location and configurations. The
right-side motor mount may be replaced with the
optional motor mount (if the optional right-side
mount is used; you may remove the Stock right side
mounting tabs). Rubber mounts will be permitted if
the engine remains in the Stock location. The engine
mounts must be bolted on to the frame as specified
by USLCI. Mounts may not be welded directly to the
frame.

If you check the rule book, you will see the mounting dimensions and specs.  https://www.inexseries.com/documents/2020-inex-rulebook-12-16-2019-final.pdf  Page 57. I don't recall ever seeing anyone not use the right side mount. Hmm...
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:02 pm »
So I did some investigation with this.  For my engine, there is a bolt that connects directly to the frame on the engine on the right side.  Most other Legend cars have two holes in the frame where the mount bolts up to. Oddly enough, all of the right side mount pictures I saw, they use a substantially smaller bolt than what comes in the kit.  It looks like they use a small Allen head with a big washer to take up the bolt hole space.  I don't know about you, but I rather have the correct size bolt in there!

I think I am going to put back on the original 13s to see if clearance gets better.  Then I will try adjusting the collars on the shocks.  I am thinking about getting that mount, it is not that expensive even brand new.  Also there is a few people who bought former shops getting rid of parts.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 05:39:38 pm »
I did some further investigation and found out that my set-up is rather rare, but some people have it.  Brand new cars do not even have this tab anymore for this type of mounting.  Apparently, if you get into a wreck, it will tear off the engine boss.  Supposedly over time, it can tear your engine boss too.  Even if it takes the engine boss, you can just use the optional engine mount.  I guess I will plan to get the optional engine mount in the future.

anything