Author Topic: Reverse Options  (Read 15645 times)

Offline jhendri542

Reverse Options
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:50:29 pm »
I saw the other post with using a ring gear and starter for reverse, but are there any other good ideas since that post was over 3 years old.   I was wondering if anybody thought of reversing the polarity of the engine starter to just move it a few feet.  I know you are not supposed to rotate an engine backwards, but it might be okay for short bursts?  However I did see a post where someone rolled backwards and it destroyed his engine. 

While we are on the topic of engine damage. I was thinking of installing a drift brake, I assume as long as I don't stall the engine, it should be okay?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Reverse Options
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 02:32:20 pm »
There is a separate transmission type piece available for a reverse gear. It's around $1,200. Not INEX legal. Yes, these engine don't turn backwards! That is why in a spin you have to push the clutch in. The starter chain will break if you don't.

The drift brake, as discussed about using as an emergency brake for a street legal vehicle, will not affect the engine. You wouldn't be using this as a braking system. Only issue is to not get the car spinning and going backwards. That will cause issues with engine damage.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 03:15:57 pm »
I might use the drift brake for drifting too!  However, these seem pretty easy to get sideways without using an e-brake.  My long term goal is to use this car for road course racing, autocrossing, drag racing and drifting.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 04:46:47 pm »
You don't want to know my opinion on drift cars. lol! You are going to need several different gear sets for the different types of racing and different tracks. Gears seem to be pretty pricey at this time. They do tend to go up and down pricewise. Do some shopping around! Springs and shocks will need to be addressed as well for the different types of racing and multiple tracks. Tires will be an issue with multiple types of racing. One thing that I truly like about INEX Legends is that the rules are the same at all sanctioned events and tracks (worldwide). For everything other than drifting and possibly street use, you will have no use for an E- brake or a drift brake.

Steve

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 01:50:43 pm »
I realize that most people don't consider drifting to be real racing, but I find it entertaining to watch and do!  (can't knock it if you never tried it?!)  I think I might be already set up for drifting for wheels and tires!  I previously owned Nissan 240SXs, so I have ton of old tires and wheels.  Exact same bolt pattern as Legends!  In fact I had a hard time getting into my basement garage with the car due to the limited ground clearance with the 13s and street full exhaust.  I put the 15s on and no problem!  Yeah, I noticed that gears really fluctuate in price.  I will just buy them when I see good deals, however I might have eventually go to a more robust differential.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 02:33:10 pm »
The dwarf cars guys are using the 8 bolt Toyota and also quickchange rear ends. The 8 bolt saves a little bit of weight over the 10 bolt. I think the quickchange would make gear changes a lot easier. There has been some talk about a quickchange rear end for the legends cars; But I don't see that happening any time soon.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 05:52:08 pm »
Sorry! I was not knocking drift racing... Just not really something that interests me.

Steve

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 08:18:15 pm »
I realize I am probably the oldest person into drifting, most classic car guys really look down on it!  However, I think they are kind of hypocrites, as most of them enjoy a good burnout and burnout contest.  Just think of drifting as a burnout while going around a corner!

I have some ideas for reverse.  They sell separate ring gears for Honda GX390 engines.  I could fab that up to the driveshaft to diff.  Not sure if the Honda starter could move the car, but Speedway sells a compact powerful starter for under $100.  I could just swap out the starter gear between units potentially.  Not sure how durable the gear would be long term since it not really designed to move a car!

Brinn make a super compact flywheel for SBC, but I would have do a lot of machining of the center section https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Brinn-79070-Small-Block-Chevy-Steel-Flywheel-2-Piece-Main-1955-1985,29693.html  The other option is this Bert flywheel https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bert-Transmission-370-Flywheel-Ring,57114.html?sku=736370&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAiAjeSABhAPEiwAqfxURaVs9wd1AmPd4ycL7P330adQE4RLlP7mwDwv_rguBN5z0HYuz8YDdxoCkPAQAvD_BwE

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 01:03:54 am »
And some people think that all oval track cars do is turn left. Classic car guys aren't always hot rodders.
If you enjoy drifting; Then do it! Cars are what we make of them and what we expect them to do for us. I've restored many a classic car as well as race. I have a truck because I expect it to haul my race trailer better than than family van. I expect the van to haul friends and family to parties and vacation trips. LOL!

A smaller, lighter weight, flywheel and/ or starter certainly couldn't hurt. The less rotating mass, the better. Will the compact starters mesh with say the GX390 flywheel? Other than the expensive reverse gear box (I believe it is make in the UK); I have seen people use the flywheel and starter from whatever common vehicle for kit cars and Motorcycle powered car. It's may be slow... But it does work.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:59:45 pm »
As they come as is, the high output compact starters will not mesh with the GX390 flywheel.  I am thinking I could swap the pinion gear from the Honda starter to the compact starter.  Perhaps I am being optimistic!  The Honda starters are 0.5 Kw and rotate CCW.  The compact Chevy starters are around 1.5Kw and rotate CW.  I need to be mindful of the rotation, as some starters will spin both ways if you reverse the polarity, but will not kick out the pinion gear if hooked up backwards.  The good thing about GX390 parts is they are super cheap!  I intend to install a clutch safety switch, so I can't engage reverse unless the clutch is pushed in.