Author Topic: Best Aerodynamics  (Read 4742 times)

Offline jhendri542

Best Aerodynamics
« on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:26 pm »
I was wondering which body style has the best aerodynamics.  I plan to run my car on fast road courses such as Road Atlanta.  I might enter it into a half mile race too.  Also I saw a car with an aluminum splitter in the front for extra downforce, at least that is what the guys at the shop told me. Is it for downforce or just to direct air to the oil cooler? 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Best Aerodynamics
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:30:05 pm »
These Legends cars are definitely not the most aerodynamic!
A lot of folks change the grill and fenders on the '34 Ford to the '37 to create more air flow to the engine.
The scoop is just that, a scoop. It is not a splitter. It is used to help draw air into the oil cooler.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 01:36:39 pm »
Yes I realize that these Legends are not very aerodynamic.  In fact Wikipedia lists the drag coefficient for a Legends car Cd as 0.74.  It does not specify which body style.  Definitely not a good body for land speed records!  A Hummer H2 is 0.57 for comparison.  Most modern regular cars are under 0.30 and a Porsche Taycan Turbo is only 0.22.  The reason why I am concerned with aerodynamics is that really fast cars hit about 150 MPH at Road Atlanta.  I kept on asking the guys at the shop which car has the best aero and all they could say is that it doesn't matter.  That might be true for 1/4 mile tracks, but for 100+ MPH tracks with long straights, I am sure there is a difference.

When they told me it was a splitter for downforce, I really questioned that!  However, these guys were "experts", so I just assumed they were correct, however I was thinking, this car mainly runs 1/4 mile tracks, why would they need that.  I realize these cars are mainly raced on slower speed tracks and very few of them are raced on fast road courses.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 02:14:29 pm »
LOL!!!
Remember that free information is worth exactly what you pay for it. Still laughing!!!!
With that said; There are a lot of folks running the Legends cars on road courses that run speeds in excess of 90 - 100 MPH. Oval tracks are pretty fast as well! These cars are turning speeds equal to more powerful cars with more weight.
If you are planning to run the car in the Legends class, you will have to stay within the legends rules to compete in that class. Also, if you plan to run in INEX events, you will have to compete under their rules. SCCA does allow other tire options; But now that we are allowed the Hoosier tire, I am not sure how those particular tires will work as compared to other options.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything