Author Topic: Difference between spool and non spooled.  (Read 12393 times)

Offline uncc11

Difference between spool and non spooled.
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:41:29 pm »
I tried searching before hand and I couldn't find an answer I was looking for. I just want to know which is better for asphalt oval. I know one difference is the price. From what I've read it seems like a spooled rear end almost makes the rear axle solid so that the inside wheel spins as much as the outside and is bad for corning and that a non spooled rear end makes it where each wheel still gets power but are independent of each other. Is any of this right?

~Kristopher

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Difference between spool and non spooled.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »
A non-spooled will be welded, so the wheels will not spin independently.
Biggest advantage to spending $$ on a spool is weight savings in my opinion
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:35:28 pm »
There was a custom built limited-slip differential for a Legends car for sale on RacingJunk a few months ago.  Guy claimed he had $2300 invested in it, won 8 of 8 races with it, and was sellling it for $1600 because he didn't want to get caught with it.   In my opinion, if you're spending that much money on a Legends rear end assembly, then you're in the wrong class. ::)

As far as the original question, as Jim said earlier, rotating weight is the big difference.  Either way both rear wheels will be locked.  Also, the spool set up will cost you more when properly set up, so I guess it's your choice.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline uncc11

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:16:04 pm »
Thanks for the responses, so if cost isn't really a problem then the best bet would be the spool. But I'm just trying to think if the lightness would really show up enough on the track compared to the welded.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:55:21 pm »
After stripping the axle splines out 5 spools over the years, I have converted back to welded and have never had another failure. The spools are some sort of chinese import that USLC is making and I won't trust another. I have probably had close to 10 customers strip them out as well...Too many failures for me.

The best part when you send them back to USLC for "inspection" they tell me everytime, "the rearend housing is bent". Amazing how I still have the same housing in both of my cars with welded gears and no more failures...

Plus, if I had a bent housing I would replace it, I wouldn't be able to put cars in the wnners circle and on the front of the rulebook with bent & broken parts.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 08:43:04 pm »
I realize this is an ancient post, but I am curious what you guys think of the spools from Speedway?   https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Toyota-10-Bolt-Steel-Full-Spool,28853.html
Also, I wonder if the reason these were stripping the threads is because of the wrong spool? It looks like there are two different spools out there, one for the 2.50 gear and one for everything else.