Author Topic: Beginner Questions  (Read 5464 times)

Offline TTR13

Beginner Questions
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:00:31 pm »
Hello, I?m looking to get into Legends racing. I?m a sophomore in high school, 15 turning 16 less than two weeks from now. I have a job paying very slightly more than minimum wage lined up, and I get to start there next May, guaranteed. When I am 17, in the summer of 2022, I am planning on racing Legends full time at my local track, and part time at two tracks a bit further from me. My dad was a mechanic (and he has been teaching me about cars for about a year now) so we know how to do most on the mechanical side of things. My parents are also willing to pay for whatever I need, if I cannot earn enough money, but I?d rather do this without depending on them, money-wise.

We already have a car trailer, and I am planning to buy a used Legend, to race on a third mile oval. I have some questions about the cost of racing, and such.

If I buy a used car, should I immediately get the engine rebuilt?
How long do the 1200, 1250, and FZ09 last between rebuilds?
Of the three engines, which do you think is the best, overall?
How many miles per gallon do the legends get?
What are cut and uncut tires lifespan, in miles?
Should I buy a fire suppression system?
After every race, what things should I check on the car?
Assuming there isn?t any damage from the race, how much does each race week cost?
How should I ask businesses for sponsorship - email them, call them, or just show up?
I would think that certain spots on the car are worth more; how much should I ask for for each specific spot on the car?
What should a sponsorship proposal look like?

I?ve spent about an hour each day for the past month combing through decades of posts, and these are the most pressing questions I haven?t found a clear answer to (or in the case of the FZ09, outdated)

Thanks, Gavin

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Beginner Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 07:30:57 pm »
There are always lots of questions when getting into something new. So... I'll give it my best shot to answer what I can for you.

If I buy a used car, should I immediately get the engine rebuilt?
 That would depend on how many races are on the engine when you buy a car.

How long do the 1200, 1250, and FZ09 last between rebuilds?
 The amount of time between rebuilds can vary depending on how much you plan to race, engine upkeep and what your budget can afford. I know some teams that have them rebuilt after after as few as 30-50 races. I know others that have raced the same engine for 2-3 years. Not a real solid answer for you on that.

Of the three engines, which do you think is the best, overall?
 The 1200 is a non-sealed engine. This allows you to do all repairs either on your own or a mechanic of your choosing.
 The 1250 is a sealed engine program; So there are only a few repairs you can make on your own. If the seals are tampered with, or the seals are broken, the engines have to be sent in to the engine shop at USLC.
 Similar to the 1250, the FZ09 engine is a sealed engine program. Major repairs will require the engine be sent to USLC. Shipping costs and down time are always an issue.
 I can't say that one engine is better than the other. They are all equally capable of winning. The 1200 and the 1250 are air cooled engines and are dependent on how much cooling you can get in and around the engine. The FZ09 is a water cooled engine... And therefore requires a radiator, water pump, etc... I have heard a ton of stories on all the engines. I do tend to like the new FZ09 because it is water cooled. Downside is that a wreck can cost a radiator and damage to the engine.
 I would have to say that engine choice will be up to you. There is going to be a learning curve either way you go. Perhaps search out a decent car in your area for sale in your budget and start there. Go with whatever engine it comes with.

How many miles per gallon do the legends get?
 The fuel cell holds around 4 1/2-5 gallons with the foam. Gas mileage isn't really the issue. Under 10 gallons of fuel likely on any given race day.

What are cut and uncut tires lifespan, in miles?
 The new Hoosier tire is not allowed, by rules, to be cut. Not sure what the tire rule will be at your track(s). Wear will also be dependent on your set up and driving style. I don't think any of us measure anything in miles! I know some people that can get a season out of a set of tires, and others that get only a few races.

Should I buy a fire suppression system?
 Depends on what you think your life is worth. Rules for INEX only require a fire extinguisher in the car. I know several people that had fire suppression systems and it helped save their lives. In the same respect; Don't cheap out on safety equipment!!!!

After every race, what things should I check on the car?
 EVERYTHING!!!! Nuts, bolts, engine, safety gear.... EVERYTHING!!!!!!

Assuming there isn't any damage from the race, how much does each race week cost?
 Entry fees, fuel (including towing costs), food is always good ;), I plan on no less that $100 per night. That is likely very minimal.

How should I ask businesses for sponsorship - email them, call them, or just show up?
 Sponsorship is a really tough question. I would show up in person. Start with family and friends. Bigger sponsors are going to want to know what you are going to do to help them grow their business. Offering to bring the car to their business (because race cars draw in the car crowd), showing the car at car shows or local events, Getting there names out there to the race fans (usually a list on your driver profile and announced at your track as they do driver line ups, etc...). This is now a business! Not just jump in a car and drive. You have to show them that you can help them grow clientele. We have a few old posts on this. Same things still apply.

I would think that certain spots on the car are worth more; how much should I ask for for each specific spot on the car?
 This is always a hard question! For larger spots on the car, ask as much as you can get. Maybe take a photo copy of a diagram of your car. (I have a few different body styles in my files that I could send you) I have donated as little as $10-$15 up to $2,000. I owned my own business and was able to write off some as advertising. Read through those old posts on sponsorship. Be creative. I have friends and family that help me out; But for the most part I sponsor myself. My focus is now on Childhood Cancer Awareness. I have people willing to help the cause. Not that I expect to make any money from my racing ventures; But it is nice that I have people that will donate to promote the cause. I have had friends that would put your name on their hood for $25.00. Jim (VMS Motorsports) did a promotion for Paws for the Cause. Get creative!!!!

What should a sponsorship proposal look like?
 There are company's that will do this for you. It's not cheap! You can do it on your own; But you have to be willing to pound the pavement and spend some time to promote yourself. It certainly helps if you already have a car so that you have something to show them. They know that you have laid out your money as well as just spending theirs. I spent a lot of my own money throughout my racing ventures. I provided my prospects with my racing biography, pics of the car, plan as to what, where and how many races I plan to run for the season, offering to show the car at their business to promote special sales or events, and the announcements that the track provides during driver introductions.

I hope that helps you some. I hope others will pitch in their thoughts as well. I will answer whatever questions I can for you. Post or message me and I will do my best.

Good Luck,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline TTR13

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:53:54 pm »
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, Steve. I really appreciate you and this forum in its entirety, its been so helpful! I've known since I was three that what I want most in my life is to race cars, and you and this forum are making that possible.

Thanks again, Gavin

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 11:11:36 pm »
Gavin,
Best of luck to you my friend! Starting out is not easy. One thing you will never forget is your very first race. Cost... Priceless!!!
I started a bit late (in my teens). I worked hard. I wrenched, swept garages, whatever I could do to be around race cars and the track. I got my first chance to run in a mechanics race. Started out on the pole and ran most of the race up front. Finished dead last! I borrowed a car from a friend a few years later... I think he thought I was just going for a day trip. I took every ounce of baggage out of that car and raced my first SCCA autocross race. Borrowed his car a few more weekends until he caught on to what I was doing. LOL!!!! Bought my first car when I was 25. Took a year off work to race Mods. Finished in the top 5. I think I was more lucky than good. Friends I made at the track helped me out with set up and driving tips. I think they were more worried about me wrecking their cars than I was about wrecking my own. Some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to meet! Racing gets in your blood. Don't be afraid to ask questions, work hard and be willing to listen. Take what you think you can learn from.

Posts on the site have been a bit slow as of late. Doesn't mean people aren't looking at the site and reading the posts... We still get thousands of page views per day. As I am a moderator here on the site; I try to keep track of all my resources and pass on what I learn to others. Others on the site should share as well. It helps to make racing safer and more competitive for those just starting out. Helps those that have been around a bit to think about how far they have come. Also helps us old timers as well. I think it helps us to get back to our roots.

A parting story from my past... I went to a race with high hopes... I broke a rocker arm stud. Could have put me out of the race. A young lady that I was racing against (for points) gave me one. I offered to pay for it. She told me that it was worth the small price to pay to have a worthy competitor. A very humbling thing to be told from a competitor half my age. I have never forgotten her kindness or her name. That's what keeps me inspired to help others. People my senior on this site have helped point me in the right direction. I may not have all the answers... But I strive to help others to do there best.

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.