Author Topic: Spinning and smooth throttle application  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Jelly39

Spinning and smooth throttle application
« on: October 24, 2020, 11:13:36 pm »
Hey guys, I really only have about 3 hours at speed and only about 2 of those in my car. I know this is going to sound stupid but  I am having trouble starting off smooth even though all I have ever driven was manual and I spun 3 times on the atlanta road course coming out of corners, do any of you wear knee pads or have a piece of foam on the wall to help stabilize your leg while driving. I didn't hurt the car just slowed everyone else down with my 3 yellows which socks. Any tips on starting off and corner exit. Am I  going wide open to fast. Any help would be great

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Spinning and smooth throttle application
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 02:30:16 pm »
Hi Blair,

I've heard, or seen, several people that have had issues with starting smoothly. As you only have about 2 hours in your car, I think that is just going to be a practice (seat time) issue. Perhaps you can find a large parking lot to practice your starts. The throttle pedal and clutch can be pretty touchy on these cars. You may need to change the pivot point on your throttle pedal to get a better response and feel from the pedal.
You may also need to adjust your clutch pedal as well. Remember to immediately push in the clutch if you spin. Getting backwards while in gear can cause some serious damage to your starter chain.

I have seen many cars with knee protectors (knee guards). You can make or purchase them. Speedway Motors and many other race part dealers sell them. Or you can fab up your own.

Again, I am going to say that Seat Time is going to improve your driving skills. These cars are very twitchy (quick to respond). Not like driving a street vehicle. Everything happens a lot faster! Several things could be causing you to spin... Wrong chassis set up, bad corner entry and/or exit (driving line), braking and throttle points throughout the turns, etc..... Get all the practice time you can!!! Perhaps find a race driver or team that you can work with to help you improve your driving skills. Study the faster drivers at your track. Watch videos from any of the races you can find online at your track. Make note of where they brake, turn, accelerate. Perhaps follow a faster driver through some practice laps (as best you can) and learn how they are getting around the course. I know it is not an easy thing to learn; But follow the driver ahead of you and think about how you can make the next lap better. Don't know if you are a lone wolf or have a crew to help you out. Have a friend or family member video your runs. Or even get a video camera and mount on your your car so you can study your strengths and weakness around the track. All this doesn't cost a bunch; It's just a bit time consuming. What you will learn is priceless!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Jelly39

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 05:21:21 pm »
Thanks Steve, I know  seat time will be an important part probably  the most important. I used to race wera so I understand the apex and the line at least on a motorcycle and I understand the transmissions in motorcycles. Well thank you for all the info I will utilize what you said.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:08:48 pm »
2 wheels and 4 wheels are two different things. Not saying that you have no clue as to what you are doing. It's an adjustment.
I've raced street stocks and mods... These cars are so much different! Be sure to make only one change at a time and keep a notebook as to what changes you make and how that change made a difference. Good or bad.

Steve

Offline Jelly39

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 11:22:25 am »
Thanks Steve, I am well aware of the difference in two and 4 wheels. I am sure there is differences in some lines and braking into before them. I have been reading all I can to learn as much as I can. And I'm the first to admit I have know nothing about these cars. I will do that and I did write down braking points and everything I tried to learn. Thank you for all the help. I need as much I can get.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 04:43:02 pm »
As I have never run at Atlanta, and not likely that I ever will.... Send me a message and let me know your set up (or post). I can look at your set up and run it through some of the programs I use. Might help me out as well with my set up.

Steve

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 09:35:37 am »
The key to being quick in a legends car is realizing that you need to brake and apply throttle in as straight of a line as you can. The cars are very tire limited and extremely twitchy. If you are racing AMP this coming weekend, come by and talk (blue 31 car). I'll be there.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

anything