Author Topic: Ignition or lack there of  (Read 6050 times)

Offline darwood112

Ignition or lack there of
« on: August 15, 2020, 12:08:33 am »
I?m new to this forum but I?ve been running Babygrands for the last couple years. Believe it or not, we run the same FJ1200 engines as you legend folks. Anyway, just had an engine rebuilt and finally got it back in the car. Got everything hooked up and went to fire it and just cranks nothing else. So I checked fuel supply. Got plenty of fuel flowing from the pump. Checked spark, didn?t have spark. I checked the coils, plug wires and grounds, did a little more of just checking connections and all of a sudden had spark but it was intermittent. Checked the pick up gap on the rotor and there wasn?t really any of a gap. So I loosened the pickup and made the gap 6 thousandths. Had intermittent spark again. So, what is the gap need to be on the pick up and any other ideas floating around out there. This is a stock Yamaha ignition system. Black box, coils, etc. all Yamaha stuff. Thanks!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Ignition or lack there of
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 03:33:00 pm »
Ignition Check:

1) Check for spark
2) Loose or dirty electrical connection(s)
3) Loose or broken ignition coil ground wire
4) Broken or shorted plug wires
5) Ignition unit malfunction

Sorry, I do not know the correct gap. Hopefully, someone knows and will chime in.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline darwood112

Re: Ignition or lack there of
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 04:40:22 pm »
Thanks. More checking today. Have good spark to the plugs. I?m thinking the timing is possibly 180 degrees out. Thing won?t even pop or backfire even when squirting a little ether in the intake while cranking. It?s got me completely baffled.