Author Topic: TIRES  (Read 11208 times)

Offline wolfpack1992

TIRES
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:26:10 am »
I know there are talks about US Legands changing from the Federal tires to Hoosiers. When is this going to be happening and if we already have the federals will we be able to use them for the 2020 season, the reason for this is when I get my tax return I will be looking to purchase a new set of tires. I don't want to buy federals if we wont be allowed to run them

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: TIRES
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:13:29 pm »
Last I heard, this tire change won't happen this year. I assume it will be like last time they changed the tire rule, and you will still be able to run the Federal and American Racer tires until the following year.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:19:58 pm »
Now I am hearing that the Hoosier tires might be available in May.
And the Federal and American Racer tires will still be legal for this year.
I guess we will just have to wait and see if the change takes place.

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 02:29:48 pm »
I emailed Scott Reinhardt the INEX General Manager he told me that we would be able to blend the Federal and Hoosier but may have to use the Hoosier at like the shootouts and Nationals.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 03:17:02 pm »
I am hearing the same. There was an interesting interview on LN about the Hoosier tires. Tire stagger is going to be a big part of getting the car to work well with these bias ply tires.

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 02:01:49 pm »
Yes that is why I will be using the feds at my local track to try and win maybe while the others are figuring out the Hoosiers lol. I'll buy a set of Hoosiers but may not use them till next year. Im also hoping they will be less expensive and not have much tire fall off?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 07:30:13 pm »
If you buy them for next year, be sure to store them properly. Store in dark bags (garbage bags work well) and in a warm space. Tires do not like hot or extremely cold temps for storage. Basements or heated garages usually work well.

The tire stagger game is going to be interesting for those that have never used stagger before. I've used Hoosiers in other series of racing; They tend to leak air rather quickly. Keep an air compressor or air tank handy. You can grow stagger by over inflating the tires and leave out in the sun (or a hot space). I think I read that they are going to limit stagger to 1". I'm not sure you will need that much; But it will be interesting to see how the tire rule will read.

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:43:56 am »
Yeah I have a set of feds in black trash bags in my living room at the moment lol my wife hates it but thats the only space i got. Yeah I have a little help from a fellow driver who will help some but it will be a learning curve. I just hope they are not to expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 05:27:59 pm »
So... I was looking through an old thread (back when we still had to run the BFG tires). Myself and a couple others were interested in Hoosier and a few other tires for non-INEX events. Randy brought up the point that the softer compound tires cause a lot more grip and was tearing up suspension mounting points. You have to remember that this was before double shear rear end mounting points were the norm and 2 piece axles were pretty common. It still may be a point to keep an eye on with this new tire change.

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 08:26:03 am »
Oh I see, hopefully at least someone will use them and we can tell what the tires are really affecting on the car itself

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 12:50:38 pm »
I have not seen anything posted by anyone who actually tested the tires.

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 08:47:45 am »
I have heard the big teams in Charlotte NC have tested and used them but there not sharing, their keeping it a secret

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 09:20:01 am »
I'm hearing they are going to be 119.99 and will be released on April 1

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:36 am »
I am hearing the same. I am already seeing a lot of Federal and AR tires up for sale.

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 02:28:23 pm »
Yes I heard from a dealer here in NC April 1 is the day they release them. I have bought Feds for the season but Ill but the Hoosiers sometime in June or July

anything