Author Topic: Engine Issues  (Read 7582 times)

Offline wolfpack1992

Engine Issues
« on: January 17, 2020, 02:20:11 pm »
So I had some work done on my car this past week. I picked it up Wednesday night the guy did start it for me and it ran like it had always done. Well Thursday night I get home and I want to hear the great sound of a race car, mind you I have it inside an enclosed trailer here in Raleigh North Carolina so it was about 55- 60 degrees all day long. So I go out mind you he does this for a living he owns 9 legends and works on them consistently. So I have a brand new wiring harness and new plugs and a cleaned out carburetor. I proceed to start the car and it wont turn over. I turn all the switches off wait 2-3 mins and try again and again. All it is doing is backfiring and not starting. Now I'm new to the Legends and have not much experience with these cars, what am I doing wrong. I mean obviously when I picked it up it started and the next day it would not. Is it because its to cold been told they don't start in the cold.  Any help will be great to this new driver who loves this sport and this division.

Thanks
HallRacing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 07:49:36 pm »
Cold.? LMAO!!!! In the negatives here in Montana (-24 degrees).
Not sure what other switches you are turning on besides the main ignition switch and hitting the start button? If you are turning on fans or other accessories; There is no need for that. Make sure the battery is fully charged. I am assuming the battery is good. These things don't like a low battery for any reason! Double check the ground wires and make sure they are tight and have good ground to clean metal. Double check all the connections, splices, etc... and make sure they are tight.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 03:06:30 pm »
Could something have come loose in transit???

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 07:00:26 pm »
It is possible. Is also possible that your guy might have forgotten to tighten a wire or some other connection. These things happen sometime.
Make sure the battery is fully charged and check all connections and grounds. Should fire right up!

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 08:23:29 pm »
I messaged him and he said I could be flooding it.. and also with it being this cold. What grounds should i look at. I'm no electrical guy and I'm still new to all this.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 10:39:23 pm »
I am telling you that you don't know what cold is! Us folks up north are freezing our asses off!!! Below zero temps, snow and just downright miserable.

Are you trying to gas it before you start it up? Kind of like we used to do on the old bikes? That could be an issue. I would still check out all I have already said. Sometimes what seem like little things get overlooked. You don't have to be an electrician to check connections. Just check to see that all the connectors are pushed all the way in and bolts and nuts are tight. Make sure the battery has a full charge. Have I not stressed this enough? MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS AT FULL CHARGE. I am not trying to seem angry with you; 99% of the time, it is these simple things that cause these issues.

Worse comes to worse; Spray some quick start in the carbs. If it fires and runs until it evaporates, it is a fuel system issue.

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 08:44:36 am »
Yeah charged it yesterday morning to a full charge at 2 tried it again and same thing occurred not cranking.  The one thing he did was the line from the fuel tank was rubber and it was deteriorating and he found it in the carbs but he changed it and cleaned them out. But it started there. So that's why I'm just confused. I took the plugs out yesterday and I could smell gas on them for sure

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 04:29:33 pm »
It was fouled plugs

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 07:00:27 pm »
Glad you got it started. Thanks for the update and the heads up to check the plugs!

Steve

Offline wolfpack1992

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 10:44:41 am »
On cold days what is the best way to start these things. For some reason I keep flooding it. It started but sounded like it was running way under power

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 06:57:27 pm »
Shoot a shot of either (quick start) in it. Pumping the gas pedal seems to be flooding it out. Are your jets perhaps to large?

Steve

anything