Author Topic: Setup for Langley  (Read 18192 times)

Offline CraterTater

Setup for Langley
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:42:39 pm »
Starting my son in Bandos this 2020 and looks like Langley (VA) is where we'll be cutting our teeth. Have devoured past posts back to 2012 but was wondering if anyone can slip me some setup tips specific to Langley? Just got the car a few weeks ago so I haven't even had a chance to make any stupid mistakes! (Still time ...)Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Setup for Langley
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 01:08:53 pm »
We all make stupid mistakes. lol! That is how we learn.

So; Have you had the car out to the track to test out the set up that is on it now? Did you buy the car from the area where you plan to race? Do you know what spring rates are on it now? Have you checked the car weights yet? I know it sounds like a lot of questions; But you are going to need to know these things at some point.

I do not have a specific set up for Langey. I am hopeful that someone else will. I can likely help with set up if I know the car weights and spring rates. Bando cars are a bit odd, in they only have rear springs. The front end is like a go kart (if you have any knowledge on that). I have some thoughts on the front end that should get you close.

If you choose not to share what set up currently is, feel free to message me and I will see what I can do to help.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a great racing season!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline CraterTater

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 07:53:45 pm »
Gotcha ya. We're coming from quarter midgets (dirt) so I'm used to front springs. Yes bought it in the general area of the track and was even told it was set up for Langley so we will certainly test it as is before tweaking anything. It had just been recently rebuilt though (new front and rear clips) and pretty sure it hasn't been run since then so I wanted to compare the current set up with the "wisdom" from the forum just in case  perfection wasn't dropped into our laps. (Quarter midgets taught us to never expect that!!!) I'll gather the current set up specs and get back on with that info. Waiting on a new seat, belts and some ballast so have't bothered weighing yet. Thanks for replying and the offer to take a look.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 09:31:33 pm »
So... We need to know where you are at right now on weights. I would not add weight until you know where you are at. Weigh with your driver in car and without. That will give you a baseline to start with. Do you have any set up info from the previous owner? That would be helpful as well.

Steve

Offline CraterTater

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 09:05:00 pm »
The sale was through a 3rd party so we haven't been dealing with the actual previous owner. All we got is how the car is currently set-up.

Couple of interesting things I noticed is that the rear body section has been modified a bit so that it is pushed down onto the bottom body work as far as it will go...just friction holding it on and actually sits right ontop of the exhaust...no dzus fasteners attaching it...the frame is drilled out for them, but for the regular body height. Anyone out there recognize this tactic? I understand getting the spoiler out of the air but its hard to believe aero is a factor with these cars though I suppose every little bit helps...

Second, noticed that the previous owner applied some weights in the rear wheel wells... Any thoughts on this?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 01:10:41 am »
Could it be that the body is just not attached? I have never heard of anyone doing this on purpose.

Page 56. 25. PLASTIC AND FIBERGLASS BODYS: All plastic and fiberglass body components must remain within the stock dimensions, thickness, location, and configurations as delivered new by U.S. Legend Cars International and may not be reinforced or intentionally lightened.
Mounting of Components -All plastic and fiberglass body components must be firmly attached to every Bandolero Car competing in any race. Any Bandolero Car may be black flagged or denied entry to start a race if any of the aforementioned items are not attached unless prior approval is given by the INEX technical inspector.  Intentional removal of un-damaged parts is not permitted.

The lead applied for weight will depend on the car weight and weight of your driver as to it's placement. The rules specify where weight can be placed. Page 52. Mounting ballast -The blocks of lead must be bolted directly through the floor pan and chassis sub-frame (square tube) as shown in the diagram. The ballast must be secured with a minimum of two (2) 3/8? bolts, washers and locking nuts for each stack of lead. The blocks of lead may not be stacked higher than 3? from the square tube. The lead may not be encased in anyway. Ballast may not be added in any other location or by any other method, including steel shot or any other material in the frame rails, roll cage or bumpers. All mounting of the ballast is subject to final approval by the INEX technical inspector.

I could not get the picture to load. Sorry! Check out the rule book.

Steve

Offline CraterTater

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 06:57:55 pm »
Lol! Yeah that wouldn't surprise me a bit! (I'm guessing any tricks wouldn't be that obvious.) Thanks for the rules blurb.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 08:21:40 pm »
Do be sure to read the rules. Some tracks are more fussy on them than others.
https://www.uslegendcars.com/documents/2018-rulebook-word---final.pdf