Author Topic: Legend Rat Rod  (Read 8195 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Legend Rat Rod
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:06:14 am »
Steve asked me to post some pictures of my Legend Rat Rod so I am going to try. One photo is of it setting in its new place in my driveway, the tail light pictures show where I had to mount hem due to the 16" minimum height requirement in Texas, the headlights are mounted on the fender braces and this will require that I stiffen the braces with some aluminum angle, the last shows where I mounted the "Drift Brake" that I'm using for a park/emergency brake.

If you have any questions, Please Ask because so far the Street Legal section of the Forum is not getting many posts and I would hate to see it disappear. If you have a street Legend or would like to know anything about this project ask. I'll tell you what each item cost, total expenditure, any related subject is fine with me.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Legend Rat Rod
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:32:18 am »
Dennis,

Thanks for posting the pics! The car is looking awesome!!!
I think you made a good choice removing the front fenders. Gives it that '50s hot rod look.  8) It also opens up the engine for more cooling. I also like the slots in the hood! Gives it a louvered look.
The tail lights look great as well! They blend in really well with the rear fenders.
You could perhaps fab up thicker brackets for the head lights.
Good choice of placement on that E-brake. Are you going to make a cover for it, or just leave it as is? If left exposed; Some cool stainless steel braided lines would look awesome!.

Some chrome nerf bars would look cool on the front, instead of the stock front bumper. Chrome that rear bumper. That would move you from Rat Rod to Up Town!!! :D

I know you were asking about how to look "Cool" on cruise night getting out of the car. LOL!
How about removing the running boards and side nerf bars? That might make it easier to get in and out. ;)

The car is looking good! You will be the all the talk on cruise night!

Thanks again for sharing!!!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:50:26 pm »
Dennis,

Congratulations on getting your tags!

Steve

Offline jhendri542

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 01:05:03 pm »
Steve asked me to post some pictures of my Legend Rat Rod so I am going to try. One photo is of it setting in its new place in my driveway, the tail light pictures show where I had to mount hem due to the 16" minimum height requirement in Texas, the headlights are mounted on the fender braces and this will require that I stiffen the braces with some aluminum angle, the last shows where I mounted the "Drift Brake" that I'm using for a park/emergency brake.

If you have any questions, Please Ask because so far the Street Legal section of the Forum is not getting many posts and I would hate to see it disappear. If you have a street Legend or would like to know anything about this project ask. I'll tell you what each item cost, total expenditure, any related subject is fine with me.
I was wondering what kind of lights you used for the rear?  Those look great!  Also, I would like details on the drift brake.  Is it purely hydraulic?  How much did it cost and where did you get it from.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 01:21:00 pm »
Dennis hasn't been on the site in a number of years. I believe he sold the car shortly after Texas changed the laws on the titling of home built cars.
As I recall, the tail lights were original Ford parts. Yes, the drift brake is hydraulic. He purchased it off of eBay. They cost around $40. Do a search on eBay, they are plentiful.

Steve