Author Topic: Trailer for 2 Legends  (Read 4975 times)

Offline chris

Trailer for 2 Legends
« on: April 29, 2019, 02:05:50 pm »
Hi all, my brother and I are planning on getting into Legend racing, and would like to put two cars on one trailer so that we can use just one tow vehicle.  Anyone have experience with that?

I saw one thread that said 26' so you have room for spares, but finding a place to store something that big is an issue where we live - so it would be easier for us to just put the spares in the back of the truck we are towing with if we could get it down to like 20' even if that requires the car overhanging the rear or something.  I have heard you can pop the bumpers off by pulling two bolts to get some extra room, but I don't know if it's really that easy or how much room length that takes off.  Anyone know if that's true and how much length it saves?

If we did go with a long trailer in the 26' range, the ones I'm seeing all have the axles offset pretty far toward the rear, which makes me worry about tongue weight.  I've never towed with a double axle, so I don't know if that is as much of a concern as with singles - whether the two axles have a load leveling type affect since it isn't one pivot.  Is it something to worry about?  If we put the cars facing rear, do you all think that would help push the weight toward the center since the cars look like they are front heavy?

Sorry about the long post, but I want to get this all figured out and be sure it will work before pulling the trigger on the cars.  Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

-Cris

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Trailer for 2 Legends
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 01:57:34 am »
Chris,

I know plenty of people with 20'+ trailers. A 20' trailer will haul 2 cars. Yes bumpers only have 2 bolts that hold them on. Not going to gain you a ton of space to do that; But if you want to pull 8 bolts every time you load the cars to gain maybe a foot and a half... Then the issue of hauling spare parts, tools, etc... If you don't mind loading and unloading all that stuff... Out door storage facilities can be had for a reasonable price. A good enclosed trailer is worth the money for storage alone. You could stack 2 cars (one over the other) on a 14' trailer. Not something I would do, or recommend; But it could be done. I think a 24' - 26' trailer would serve your purpose and serve you well.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:45:37 am »
Are you looking at open or enclosed? I assumed enclosed, except for the part where you said "even if that requires the car overhanging the rear or something", which obviously can't be done with an enclosed. I've seen 2 Legends in an enclosed trailer with the rear bumper off the front car and the front bumper off the rear car, but there is not much room for anything else. A 20" open would be fine without remocing bumpers due to the ability to overhang the back car off the rear.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline chris

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:24:38 pm »
We ordered the cars.  US Legends said at least 24' for an open trailer for 2 cars, so we are looking at stuff in the 24-28 range and will just figure something out for storage.  Our tow vehicle is an SUV so an enclosed of that size plus 2 Legends would be pushing it.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:23:54 pm »
Get a trailer that's a minimum of 7ft in width. You can get by with a 6ft but it gets tight and you'll wish you hadnt. I have a 7 x 16ft and am able to strap tires to the walls and have room for the car.

Offline 94fordracer

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 01:24:38 pm »
Chris, i have a 24' inside dimension of trailer with a 2' corner bench in front.  this gives us 21'9" of floor space.  We haul both cars with no problems, we just place styromfoam noodles on the bumpers and tie the cars down.  Interior dimension is 7'11" which is nice so we can walk around the cars without any issues or work on them if weather is bad at the track.  We also have a large tire rack that holds 8 spare tires mounted to the wall.  Height is also important.  this trailer has the taller option as well which of course is nice as we are all over 6' tall, we can walk freely through trailer.  This setup also allows for our rolling snap on toolbox to be mounted on the side below the spare tires, the front car has to be angled just a little bit to the right side for clearance.  I am going to update this year to a 24' stacker so this trailer will be available if you are interested.  Best of luck, but a trailer is a great tool as well so you can travel to races and have all the necessary tools and spare parts, makes the weekend much more enjoyable. 
94fordracer