Author Topic: Rookie Driver: Karting or Bandolero?  (Read 9999 times)

Offline gmarti86

Rookie Driver: Karting or Bandolero?
« on: March 03, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »
Hello out there, I'm the father of a 9-year old daughter who is very eager to start racing ASAP.  I want to ensure she has a good start, and am debating about starting her in either dirt oval karting or the junior Bandolero program.  I am attracted to the Bandolero program partially because because I personally have no racing background, and was concerned my lack of racing experience will hurt my daughters chances to do well.  I was also considering starting her in oval karting and then moving her into the Bandolero program.  Any thoughts on starting in karting vs. Bandolero would be greatly appreciated.  I would also appreciate any insight into the safety aspect of the Bandolero program as I was attracted to the idea of a full roll cage and 5-point harness (versus none in a kart).  Thanks in advance for any help or advice you could give to a newbie! 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Rookie Driver: Karting or Bandolero?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 01:30:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

Any form of racing (or sport) is going to involve some amount of risk of injury. I think I would agree with you as to the Bando cars being somewhat safer due to the roll cage and 5-point safety harness. As with karting, there are different divisions for the Bando kids; (1) BANDITS: (Drivers between the ages of 8 -11) as of January 1, 2018. (2) OUTLAWS: (Drivers age 12 and older) as of January 1, 2018. Some tracks require restrictor plates (either Blue or Red) to keep speeds down. Other tracks may have a gear rule. This is a spec class racing vehicle; There are only certain things you can do to them; And only certain parts that you are required to use.

Another thing to consider is the cost. I have no clue as to costs for karts. I do know that the tire bills can really mount up to some serious cash. With that said; Bando cars aren't exactly cheap to get started in either. Plan on spending between $6,000 - $10,000. Remember, besides the cost of the car, you will need proper racing attire (or gear), membership fees and likely want a few spare parts, tires, etc...

Here is a link to the rule book. You may want to read through it and see what is required.
http://www.uslegendcars.com/documents/2018-rulebook-word---final.pdf

If you have further questions, I will do my best to try to answer those for you.

Best of luck!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline gmarti86

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 02:59:25 pm »
Thanks for the insight and perspective on both series—and the rulebook too!  I’ll take a look over it!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:53:55 pm »
Where would you be racing Bando car at? Perhaps I could get you in touch with another member here on the site in your area.

Steve

Offline gmarti86

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »
I’m going to be racing in SE Michigan. Thanks!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:24:32 pm »
This is your dealer in MI:
Michigan Legends - Spartan Speedway
Jim Leasure
spartanspeedway@gmail.com
891 North Cedar Rd
Mason , Michigan 48854
T: 517-244-1042

You might want to contact him and perhaps schedule a test drive. I am sure he would be more than happy to discuss Bando cars with you.

Steve

Offline gmarti86

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 06:06:09 pm »
Thanks. Just out of curiosity, what sort of work or maintenance needs to be done on a weekly basis?  I’m thinking if the motor is sealed then it significantly cuts down on what can/needs to be done between races. Asking since I know there is a lot of cleaning and tire work done on karts but wasn’t sure on Bandos. Do people condition or prep tires like in kartin?  Thx!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 07:08:15 pm »
You can not prep the tires on a Bando car (in rule book).

Clutch maintenance and valve spring maintenance are the 2 biggies. Nut and bolt checks are a must evry week.
When I get my other computer into my new place, I will post a checklist for you.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 07:10:45 pm »
Here is some good information to peruse from our good friend Ed.
http://www.bandostuff.com/UsefulLinks.html

Steve

Offline gmarti86

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:51:47 pm »
This is great information!!!  Thanks so much!  While I’m asking rookie questions, do you also happen to have a list of tools you take to the track with you?  I was going to buy a “travel” set of sockets and wrenches to carry on race days but didn’t know if there were any speciality tools that are important or helpful to have. Thanks again for all the great advice and links! 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 11:28:25 pm »
Not really any specialty tools for the track, except perhaps a spanner wrench for adjusting the rear shocks. (www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Tools%3AAdjustableSpanner) Basic sockets, wrenches (both SAE and Metric), screwdrivers, allen wrenches, tape measure, tire pressure gauge and a good persuader (sledge hammer) are usually enough. A small air tank or compressor is handy for inflating tires. ;) Get yourself a couple of notebooks. You are going to want to take lots of notes!!!

If you haven't already; Be sure to read through the old threads. You will find lots of information!

steve

Offline gmarti86

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 09:35:30 am »
Thanks again!  I'm loving this site--and will continue to read through all the various topics to better educate myself--really appreciate the help & support!

Offline Chesnut

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 06:47:39 am »
Same here. This site is a gold mine of information. Glad I found it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 10:52:33 am »
Chesnut,

We are glad you found our little site as well. :) LegendsRacer.com will turn 11 years old on April 18th.
Things have been a little quiet during the off season. I am hopeful that dialog will pick up as the racing season gets into full swing.

Best of luck this season!

Steve

Offline spartan racer

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 08:44:40 pm »
 What did you decide to do this past season with racing? My son races Bandoleros at Spartan Speedway and did limited racing at flat rock due to their low car counts.    We also raced all over the mid west this year.  Car counts will be more next year and we would love to talk with you about racing Bandoleros  if you still have an interest. His name is Racin’ Mason Surgener.

anything