BANDOLEROS > Engine Care & Tuning

Won't Idle and Fire Pops Out of the Exhaust @ 3K RPMs

<< < (3/3)

justfreaky:
Good luck to all of you! Please keep us updated on how the season is going.

Steve

AllenSpeed:
Reason for smoke and poor idle:  spark plugs!
I had not changed or check the spark plugs since we bought it. It would throw out smoke from the exhaust even when it ran good. I thought it was the jets being too large. Nope, it had the wrong heat range spark plugs. The plugs were so covered in carbon they finally started to not fire. Dry fouled plugs! I put the correct plugs in and BAMMM, NO MORE SMOKE! I decided to do some testing, so I put brand new plugs like the ones that were in it when I bought it and it ran good again but had the smoke out the exhaust... unburnt fuel. Put the correct plugs back in and she is good to go! First Summer Series Race is this Thursday. It will be our 1st bando race this season!

FYI the plugs that were in it when I bought it were made for QM Honda 120 racing. Great plugs for quarter midgets, not good for bandos!

AllenSpeed:
Scratch the splugs causing smoke. The cars still smoke the jets are too big. I need to buy some 94 size jets. Randy appears to only have 110 and up. I have 98s but I need 94s. Does anybody know where to buy .094 jets for these nikki carbs? Does the smaller jet go on the left or right?

AllenSpeed:
The part number to order the .094 high altitude jet would be AWESOME (94 jet).  Here is the briggs and statton .098 jet (98 jet) part number: 690880 .

AllenSpeed:
I ordered the  94 jet from 600 racing. I will supply part number when the part comes in. I also ordered some 90 and 95s from Randy. http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Carbjets. When I get the air fuel ratio correct then I will have better info on the plugs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version