Author Topic: Chain adjustment  (Read 27590 times)

Offline elimn8u_43

Chain adjustment
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:30:37 pm »
I am wondering what the best way to adjust the chain on a Bandolero is. I just finished putting my car back together and I adjusted the chain with my son in the car. I left about a 1/4" deflection in the chain. When he got out of the car the chain is extremely tight. Is this normal? Should I leave the chain a little looser?

Geoff

Offline fastmantom

Re: Chain adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »
This is pretty normal.  We do the same thing.  The car races with the driver in it, so it shouldn't ever really raise up to the height that tightens the chain too much. 

Have never figured out how come they put springs on the rear of a chain driven car.  lol 

If you start popping chains, or notice excess wear on the gears, just loosen it up a little bit. 

Hope this helps!
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:56:20 am »
Ran across this info awhile back:

http://www.chopperweb.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17620&highlight=Chain+Tensioner

http://www.renold.com/Products/TransmissionChainSprockets/Roll_Ring.asp?MenuLinkID=614&MenuID=39&gclid=CPjo9aCmvo4CFQ4cHgod2AJv0Q

http://www.pobcoplastics.com/snapidle.htm

There is also the skateboard wheel and spring idea that works pretty well.

Just tossin' out some ideas for you Geoff.
Hope that helps!
If not, PM or email. I'll see what else I have on chain tensioners.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:45 am »
That is very interesting.  That O ring would probably be the way to go for a bando.  Nice find!
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:47:33 am »
That roll ring is brilliant!  Good find Steve.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:02:57 pm »
1/4" deflection is way to tight!  We run 1/2" - 3/4".  Running the chain to tight will limit the axle down-travel and cause the car to be tight, not to mention chain and sprocket wear.    With a heavy driver the chain may be snug or tight when the driver gets out of the car.  A lightweight driver will have less effect on the chain tension.

We have also found the 600 sprockets to be of questionable quality and material.  A much better sprocket is available made by Rocket Sprocket.
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:51:55 pm »
always adjust your chain with the driver in it . 1/2 slack is the best make sure you always oil the chain when he goes out , make sure you do not put oil into the shoes. use the gold chain cost more but last longer. replace chain after 5 races. or when links start to tighen up .   if you adjust the shock towers you must adjust the chain tension. the chain will tighten up when you lift the car up .   you can put 31/2 blocks under the axle to do adjust without the driver. remember to take them out before racing .

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 05:55:31 pm »
Placing blocks between the birdcages and frame is a great thing!  we cut a 2x4 cut diagonally and place them with the driver in place.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:08:38 pm »
Thanks for the information, this is an old post. I have figured out everything mentioned here except that I use Hortsman sprockets now. 600 sprokets are definately junk.

Geoff

Offline free2race

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:01:16 pm »
We use the Horstman gears on our karts and they work great. Used them for about 5 years now.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:28:15 pm »
If you try the Rocket Sprockets you'll throw rocks at the Hortsman and beat the 600 sprockets with large hammers! .....of course that comes from a Rocket Dealer!

Offline free2race

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 12:05:41 pm »
Of course, you gotta get that "plug" in there.

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 11:35:54 pm »
better check rule book about using other than stock 600 noram clutches.

Offline free2race

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:44 am »
I thought we were talking about the rear sprocket not the front?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 03:49:49 pm »
To the best of my knowlege, and I'm not too bright (although my dad did used to call me sun)(Groan!!!);
 The discussion moved on to sprockets. Not going with a different brand of clutch. Just the sprockets.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.