Author Topic: Will Not Idle Or Run Slow  (Read 9705 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Will Not Idle Or Run Slow
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:06:45 pm »
The engine wont start unless the choke is all the way out and it has to stay choked to run at all. It starts and dies maybe 20 times before you can get it to wind up, then it dies at anything less than half throttle. I'm getting real sick of this little S.O.B. anybody know what it would take to put a Goldwing motor in it?

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Will Not Idle Or Run Slow
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:20:44 pm »
Sounds like the pilot circuit in the carbs is plugged up. Any swap would require fitting the loom from said bike cutting off old mounting brackets/ fabricating new brackets, figuring out driveline/driveline adapter situation, radiator situation if it is water cooled, fans, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

Robert - RPM

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »
Hey Robert, how is it going? I'll pull the pilot jets next week. I think it set for quite a while before I got it.

On the engine swap, you don't think $29.95 will cover the labor cost? I sure like the torque range of my Goldwing. I could use it to pull up tree stumps.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:14:15 pm »
Yea $29.95 would get you alllllmost there. The jets might not be the only problem. The pilot circuit goes through the entire body of the carburetor. Your best bet would be to dis-assemble the carbs completely and run them through a hot tank and an ultrasonic cleaning to get the internal pilot circuits cleaned up. Then if it is going to sit for any period of time you need to drain the carbs of fuel or the last tank you are going to run before it sits you should go buy some non ethanol fuel like av gas or the VP T4 so the ethanol doesn't break down and clogged them up again.

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »
Hi Dennis,

These engines don't like to sit long with gas in the carbs. They tend to gum up rather quickly. Clean the carbs real good, check the foam in the fuel cell to make sure it is not clogging the fuel line, and check the vent for the fuel cell.
Pretty much what Robert said on an engine swap. Goldwing engines were used in the older Dwarf Cars. There are parts available for a swap, But going to blow your budget out of the water.
Hazards of making a street vehicle out of a race car.
Message me when you get time and let me know how you are doing.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 01:21:21 pm »
Yep, all four stopped up. I did find that a 31 gauge insulin needle works perfect to clean them. Unfortunately I found that 3 of the 4 screws that tighten the carburetors  to the intake are chewed up and I think I'll wait until Monday and maybe I can find some new ones. The screw that holds the choke cable wire does not look much better. I was not sure where the pilot jet passage went and was afraid to use a blow gun because I didn't remove the slides and diaphragms. I did use a piece of plastic tube and asthmatic lung power. They seemed ok.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 12:50:10 pm »
Update, the car idles again. I still have to hook up the choke cable and install the breathers. I ran out of energy, I'll be able to hit it again in about an hour. Did I tell you guys that getting old is not that much fun.