Author Topic: Racing Radios To Be Allowed  (Read 9229 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Racing Radios To Be Allowed
« on: May 09, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »
INEX Rule change
The rule concerning the use of radios in Legend Cars and Bandolero Cars will be changed to the following:
RADIOS: During all INEX sanctioned events, two way radios (UHF receiving device capable of monitoring race director audio as a priority communication over any two way communication from the race team only) are permitted but not required. All frequency transmissions must be UHF analog only. Encryption or scrambling of the signal is not allowed. Frequencies must be made available to INEX upon request. Two way radios & car wiring harnesses such as the “USLCI special” kit offered by Racing Electronics are recommended. The only 2 forms of communication that are allowed is a Raceceiver (that is controlled by the race director) and/or the UHF radio system as described above. Cell phones or any other source of communication that connects the driver to any outside source is not allowed.

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Racing RadiosTo Be Allowed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 03:03:45 pm »
I've been reading pro and con on this since yesterday when it was announced.
What are your thoughts?

Steve

Offline Legends16

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 04:48:30 pm »
   I don't like it at all. This was brought up on facebook and I believe this forum a couple of years ago when Racing Electronics advertised a Legend car special deal at one of the large racing shows. The negative uproar was pretty substantial on both media outlets and it was dismissed as an error or miscommunication a day or two later by INEX.

Two or three years later, today this is thrown at us again when the season has started. Its buzzing all over social media, mostly negatively. The rule released today should also say that its at the tracks discretion even if the rulebook says it. Many tracks are saying they wont allow them. 

Racing electronics came along with a sponsorship deal so INEX made a rule change. All of our displeasure of this has and is falling on deaf ears. I guess its all about the money. I am as disappointed about this as I am the actual rule change.

With that said there are pro's and cons to this. Pro's, drivers could be made aware of who's around them obviously and accidents on the track even though we get that part on our raceivers. Con's, I feel its a tool that could be used for blocking and allowing the parents of young drivers to influenced to do something they are not comfortable with. When you've stood on the sideline and watched some of these crazy parents tell their kids to wreck another driver or bring there car home in a box if they have to, its a bit unsettling. Now they can do that in real time. Parents will be telling their kids how to drive on track, I don't consider that a good thing. I really dislike this rule for bando's. Drivers like myself come to the races alone sometimes, we don't have crews or crew chiefs, this isn't Nascar, so we are at an immediate disadvantage before the car is off the trailer.

People say this is not mandatory. That's great but there's a significant advantage to the racer with the radio over the one without. I really dislike the added cost this brings to the series. There are some car racing series that aren't  even allowed to run mirrors, why do we need this?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 12:20:07 am »
I DO remember the uproar it caused back then!
Most of the arguments (Pro and Con), you summed up pretty well.
I saw a few different posts on Facebook pages that did include the statement "At the tracks discretion". I did see many posts from the tracks and also many of the clubs that said radios will not be allowed.

INEX seems to write in a new rule, or two, after the season has already started. This has been happening for many years. You would think, that by now, they would have their rules planned out and rule changes made well ahead of the upcoming season.

I am against the rule for many of the same reasons as yourself. I, also, am my own pit crew, driver and crew chief. I am on a pretty tight budget! I spend enough time talking to myself as it is. Is that "normal"? lol!

I would like to see INEX upgrade the rear brakes. And give everyone warning of an impending rule change well ahead of time so that everyone has time to prepare.

Steve

Offline JayB

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:48:43 pm »
I'm split on this. Being new half of me wants it so I don't have to worry about blind spots. While the other half doesn't want to be completely dependent on a spotter. I'm not sure where I stand on this.
Jay Berrios Driver of the #25 Chevy Coupe             Follow me on twitter please @Jay_Berrios

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 03:23:33 am »
It's a tough question!

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:39:53 am »
In the end the rule is what it is. What i'm really surprised about is them allowing it in bandos. Having a 7 or 8 year old kid being yelled at on the radio or told to wreck someone probably isn't the best thing in the world.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline Brightwell

Re: Racing Radios To Be Allowed
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 01:56:44 am »
In the end the rule is what it is. What i'm really surprised about is them allowing it in bandos. Having a 7 or 8 year old kid being yelled at on the radio or told to wreck someone probably isn't the best supplement to use is the testofuel thing in the world.

I think it's a good idea. Racing radios are the future.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 03:03:08 am »
I think it's a good idea. Racing radios are the future.

Racing radios are not the future. They have been around for many years and in many forms of motorsports.
I just find the subject of interest on our level of racing. You think that it is a good idea for legends car racing. Do you also think it is a good idea for bando cars?
What do you think of the added cost and crew?

Steve

Offline #57.se

• Flat Out
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »
Steve!,

Amazing reading comments on this topic for me in Scandinavia. This is exactly the same discussion we had in Sweden. 2 years ago by the words!. That was a short and  intense discussion not without uproar tendencies. Some of the guy`s (respected race-veterans) and still are, killed that discussion fast. They just stated that Legends imported from US is a perfect budget class for learning all from set up, handling sportsmanship, rules, ok all for racing. Legends can find the talented that do not come, yea with a silverspoon and all that crap. Veterans racers advice was. Do not start down this road. Radio?, next year slick`s, then free use amount of slick`s, then rain tyres then..........They have seen it all what happens when new popular classes comes, win with the biggest money and all that.

Legends as it is perfect for our talented young to reach up. Without that f..... silver spoon!

Best regards

# 57.se
R Torp, 37 Ford Sedan 1200 open.