Author Topic: Soft springs  (Read 12156 times)

Offline racer0x

Soft springs
« on: August 01, 2017, 11:01:20 am »
Has anybody tried soft springs in the rear on 1/4 mile semi banked asphalt

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Soft springs
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:56:36 pm »
My question would be softer than what?
Obviously, you don't want to bottom out the springs.
As an average, I see a lot of people running 175/185 Left and 185/200 Right.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline racer0x

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »
I should have posted that yes the 185 200 is the norm around here I was thinking softer than that

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 01:53:39 am »
I'm not a chassis guru by far; But, I think it would be some trial and error to find the right combination that would work for your track.
I know several people that are running 175 Left Rear and 185 Right Rear. We had one guy experiment with springs as soft as 140 on the rear and he could not get it to work.

If you have some spare springs and shocks laying around, perhaps set them up and start lowering your spring rates by (lets say) 5 pounds. At some point, you would get as soft as you can go with the rear springs. Then, I would assume, that you would have to start playing with the front springs. I can certainly see where a spring and shock dyno would be fun to have! I would also guess that you would need to take a lot of tire temps and see what they are telling you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline smokinjoe00

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 07:53:41 am »
how soft are guy going too up front nowadays?

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:42:50 am »
If you watch the shootout, soft enough that the RH side steps are basically dragging the ground, probably 100lbs or less.

Your average racer is in the 250/275 neighborhood.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:55:40 am »
Jason,  If they are running 100 lbs or less up front at Shootout, what are they running on LF and for rear springs? Thanks!

Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:40:48 am »
Definitely not an expert, but you can definitely tell certain things from pictures of top runners.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 06:38:07 am »
They call this coil bind setup, they run at the flat 1/4 miles like charlotte, Atlanta, etc. My understanding is it takes some getting used to because you have to set the car going in and mash that RF spring and keep it mashed the whole corner otherwise you upset the car. I've never driven it, but I hear the guys that do it well are hard to beat. I know a guy won SP in 2015 with a conventional setup, but coil bind is normally superior at Charlotte.

I think they run a 90 RF, not sure about the others.

Definitely not an expert, but you can definitely tell certain things from pictures of top runners.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 06:39:47 am »
Coil binding is extremely prevalent at Charlotte. I think the only ones running it at Atlanta are the guys that come down though. Most of the cars here are setup conventionally (250/275, 175/200 ISH)
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »
How do you guys do against the fast guys running coil bind? Can you guys beat top 3 shootout competitors? If not, you will probably have to go coil bind at some point. 
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 09:51:55 am »
How do you guys do against the fast guys running coil bind? Can you guys beat top 3 shootout competitors? If not, you will probably have to go coil bind at some point.

The guys running soft springs are also the same guys that sell used cars for 15-20k, so there is a lot of money/parts that go into this discussion as well. That makes it harder to determine where the real speed advantage is.   
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro