Author Topic: 15" Wheels  (Read 21938 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
15" Wheels
« on: June 29, 2017, 06:33:12 pm »
Keep in mind that I'm driving this on the street and don't have to comply with rulebooks. I would sure like to go with taller, narrower wheels for several reasons. Raise the car up a bit and the stock tires are not available if you tear up a tire. Any wheel and tire guys out there?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: 15" Wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:42 am »
Dennis,

You can use whatever 13" tire you would like. We did have some engineering students that put 15" wheels on their auto cross project a couple years ago. As I recall, they had to make adapters to fit the new wheels. Check this thread; I believe it is on page 3: http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=2850.0.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:49:23 am »
Yep, I don't remember seeing a 4 lug 15" wheel but I was hoping that someone else had. There are front wheel adapters for sale on e-bay but I did not see any for the rear.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:01:16 pm »
The bolt pattern is 4x114.3 or 4x4.5".

You should be able find a bunch of wheel options at your local tire shop.

Heck, there are more than 90 wheel listed on Summit Racing by the search of 15", 7 or 8" wide with 4x4.5" bolt pattern.

Plus, they are not going to have the vast selection of a tire shop.

Randy - RPM

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:26:42 pm »
I don't know what stock Toyota wheels the college kids found to convert to the 15" wheels. They did, eventually, make it work.
I don't remember the bolt pattern (off the top of my head); But my 2000 Hyundai, Sonata, had options for both 14" and 15" wheels. Long story; But tried to find a 15" wheel for it while on a 3,500 mile trip. All I could find at the wrecking yards were 14" wheels. Bought 2 14" wheels and tires and put those on the back (front wheel drive car). Interesting, to say the least! But I managed to complete my trip until I got back home.

As Randy mentioned; There are options for new wheels out there. Going to blow up your budget; But I am sure there is something out there that will work for you.

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:12:00 pm »
I saw some of the pictures they posted, they used a five lug wheel and that's why they had to make the adapters. If I knew what to ask for when I went to a salvage yard I'm sure they have something that will work. I really need the ground clearance or I'd just use up the two sets of tires and wheels that I have and be happy. Randy gave me the hole pattern so I guess I'll go measure the backspace and go hunting.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:06:10 pm »
Well that bombed out, if you don't know which exact car you need a part from, you ain't gonna get it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 12:44:18 am »
1974-79     Corolla     SR5 w/5 speed
1984-87     Corolla     GT-S
1971-85     Celica       ST,GT
1971-73     Carina     
1970-71     Corona     4 door
1972          Corona
1973-74     Corona     HT Sedan
1975-82     Corona     

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 06:34:58 am »
Steve, do those cars have 15" wheels? The backspace is also critical as the stock wheel does not clear the ball joints by much. The stock wheels have 3-1/4" and I don't think even 3-1/2 will clear. Less backspace would probably work but would also be rare. One of my friends had an old Honda Accord that had 4 lug wheels so I'll add that to my search.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 02:10:45 pm »
No. That is a list of cars that legends and dwarf cars derive some of their parts from (rear ends, front hubs, etc...).

Just for informational purposes; This is the rule on legends car wheels:
"77. WHEELS: Any type of automotive steel wheel that has a 13” diameter, a 7” width and the offset of 3” to 3 1/4” from back rim edge to back of wheel center is permitted."
There is also some information on minimum weight of wheel and tire; But these would not apply for street use. My reason for posting this is so that people know what wheels will likely be on a legends race car.

However; Thunder Roadsters run a Hoosier 26.5/8.0-15 Roadster Edition tire. Their wheel rule only says it has to be "stock delivered new by U.S. Legends Car International".
Perhaps Randy (RPM) can enlighten us on what wheel they use for the Thunder Roadsters.

Offline RPM

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 02:35:58 pm »
I'm confused. When you go from a 13" to 15" wheel ball joint and steering arm clearance is not an issue due to the larger diameter wheel.

We run 15" wheel on the thunder roadsters and there is much more clearance.

Your choices are going to be based on what you want.

Steel or aluminum.

If you want a steel wheel, I have some old 15" chrome roadster wheels I can sell you.

Randy - RPM 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 02:44:10 pm »
Thank You Randy!

What Dennis wants to do is raise the car up. I do not think he has taken the added wheel diameter into consideration.

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 03:13:57 pm »
I'm sorry Randy, you are right it would have more clearance. I think I spent to many years playing in Rock-N-Roll bands and it fried my mind.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:27:22 pm »
Randy, do you still have the wheels?

Offline RPM

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 08:46:08 pm »
Randy, do you still have the wheels?

Sorry, I was at work. Email sent

Randy - RPM