Author Topic: Throttle Question  (Read 8417 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Throttle Question
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:21:31 pm »
The accelerator on my car seems super quick like an old quarter turn handlebar throttle we used on short track race bikes. While driving on a race track is mostly wide open or full stop. They frown on that kind of driving through school zones, ect., ect. so I need to slow down the movement. As usual, I ain't got a clue as to how to do it.

The Beach Boys had a song about "Help Me Randy" or maybe it was help me Rhonda, but anyway Randy if you see this and can come up with a magic potion for this spaz footed fool.

If I had to pay for everything I've learned on this forum I couldn't afford the car.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Throttle Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:08:12 pm »
The accelerator on my car seems super quick like an old quarter turn handlebar throttle we used on short track race bikes.

So, we addressed that more than twenty years ago. We do two things, but one of them is more benefit than the other.

We drill two holes down towards the pivot in the upper section of the pedal down in 1" increments. This requires the pedal to be moved farther to get the same throttle shaft action. As you can see this one is currently one inch lower than the stock location. We use that location for road racing. When we go oval track racing we move it down to the bottom hole.

The second thing is to lengthen the bottom of the pedal. The changes between the drivers shoe size. The goal is to move the pedal down to the ball of the foot and not at the toes.

The first change makes the most difference, but the second change makes the car so much easier to drive.

Randy - RPM

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Re: Throttle Question
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:21 am »
And once again it's "Help Me Randy" to the rescue.  I'll get on that this morning.

Once again I thank you for sharing your knowledge, between you and Steve I am slowly getting the car to where I want it.

anything