Author Topic: Next Problem  (Read 15369 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Next Problem
« on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:04 pm »
OK, I have tags, inspection sticker, insurance, and a very loud car. When the police in Amarillo Texas see my little red rat rod I wont make a block before they have me stopped. The exhaust system might work for racing but I don't think it will work running around town. I have removed the running boards to make it easier to get out of it and I could run a pipe down the side of the frame to the back wheel but where to go from there is a mystery and I don't have any idea where to put another muffler. That Borla Collector is not muffling much noise.

So, if there are any muffler guys out there, could you please take a look at your car and see if you can figure something out.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Next Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:17:53 pm »
My first thought is a motorcycle muffler. Let me think on this for a bit and see what I can come up with.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:56:45 pm »
Bliss race engineering makes a muffler that attaches to the borla on the car and is mounted under the driver side running board for tracks that have noise restrictions in California. Also the Euro guys run some sort of exhaust system that dumps out from a muffler behind the car. They are also required to run reverse for road racing over there so maybe if someone has some contact info for someone over there they can get you pointed in the right direction

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:18:23 pm »
Thanks Randy, I couldn't find a website for Bliss Engineering. I found a reference to Bliss in Ukiah California, do you think that might be him?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:34:55 am »
I've got some contacts with members in the UK and Switzerland. I'll do some asking around.
I don't recall the size of the exhaust at the end of the collector. Don't have mine handy right now.
I did think about something like Super Trapp ($95.00) and tunable. Shorty mufflers ($10.00-$70.00).Or perhaps a exhaust insert/ baffle ($15.00).
???

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:56:46 am »
My brother (motorcycle/ snowmobile mechanic) suggests that you look into the Super Trapp.
FWIW

Steve

Offline RPM

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 02:28:52 pm »
Thanks Randy, I couldn't find a website for Bliss Engineering. I found a reference to Bliss in Ukiah California, do you think that might be him?

Yes, Mike or Dave Bliss. I don't think they have a website

Randy - RPM

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:55:38 pm »
Mike Bliss has a Facebook page. But nothing for the business.
Bliss Race Engineering
Address
339 Mendocino Dr
Ukiah, California 95482
Phone
(707) 462-9256

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:45 am »
Here is the method I used to turn the exhaust volume down by quite a few decibels. The muffler is an Emco motorcycle muffler and is basically a straight through glasspack design. I bought it on e-bay for $47.00 including shipping. It is a 16" and I wish I had got the 18 or maybe it was 19 inch to get completely past the door

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 01:05:33 pm »
I think you would be right with a bit longer muffler. Still, it got your decibels down and that will make momma bear happy. lol!

Steve

Offline RPM

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 06:51:04 pm »
I can supply you a 19" for $64.95.

If interested, let me know.

Randy - RPM

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:55:13 pm »
Randy,

I know Dennis is going to need at least one steering arm (Part #32 on the USLC front suspension diagram). He has one that the hole is elongated. Got any good ones laying around the shop?

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 06:25:00 am »
Randy, I think I'll try this one, I haven't burned myself on the turn out yet but it looks like it's just waiting to get me. I bought a perforated guard that clamps on to the pipe that I don't think you can see in the picture.

On the steering arm, it looks like someone has replaced it and the tie rod end with flat bar stock and a Heim joint. It just don't look like the one in the parts list at USL. If I can't figure out what they have done I'll post a picture so you guys can tell me what I need.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:41:40 am »
Well it is rusty and crude looking but it is a factory part. I don't know why they are slotted but they are adjusted opposite. I have noticed that if you turn the wheel loose it wants to go round in circles so it probably is for that very thing. I really need a rear end that is not welded or spooled, trying to push that little car to turn around takes two big people. I thought I was about through with this project but it is really going to take a while to get it the way I want it.

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »
Those arms are slotted to change the ackermann angle. Shorter on 1 side than the other means one wheel steers a few degrees more than the other. On the road you should have them both even.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA