Author Topic: Vin and title question wa state  (Read 12504 times)

Offline Jewellc64

Vin and title question wa state
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:10:04 am »
So I'm thinking of purchasing a legends car to make street legal as a toy. I'm from wa state and know that laws will vary from state to state but in terms of searching for a car should I be looking for on with both a vin and title or would just a vin suffice. Also, obviously it will need to have headlights, tail lights, and turn signals but is there any oddball stuff I may end up needing when I go to register it? Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Vin and title question wa state
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 08:59:32 am »
So I'm thinking of purchasing a legends car to make street legal as a toy. I'm from wa state and know that laws will vary from state to state but in terms of searching for a car should I be looking for on with both a vin and title or would just a vin suffice. Also, obviously it will need to have headlights, tail lights, and turn signals but is there any oddball stuff I may end up needing when I go to register it? Thanks

That IS going to be a hard question to answer! The vin and title that may (or may not) come with the purchase of a Legends Car, is only a vin and title registered to the race car through INEX. It has nothing to do with the Department of Motor Vehicles. It only identifies the  car and ownership of the car to the racing organization. Could it help with registration of the vehicle? Possibly. Not sure what the laws are in your state. It may be a proof of origin; As is sometimes needed to title a chopper or some other such project. I am in Montana and know of a single car registered here.  For the most part, they would be registered as a homebuilt or kit car. Keep good records of all your purchases! Everything from purchase of a complete car, roller or chassis to nuts and bolts. Take lots of pics of the build. Not just because I would like to see them :D ...  But, because you can prove the build of the car and approximate cost, or value, of the car. As far as what is required in your state, I do not know. Dennis tells me that an emergency brake is required in Texas. Obviously, mirrors are going to a necessity. There are Lexan windshields available if necessary. Wipers are another story. Depends on the states requirements. We hope to find out more information as to what is required from state to state.

This is a whole new category of cars for our little site here at legendsracer; Just started yesterday. For 10 years, we have been about the racing of these cars. Requests prompted us to venture into the "Street Legal" aspect of these cars.

Thank You for your questions and Welcome to our site!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:06:34 am »
Jewell, I was able to find online what the requirements for the Texas state safety inspection are. From recent experience with a car hauler trailer I lost the title to and have owned for about 25 years, I gained a lot of experience.

For the title I will have to take the car to the police station where they will check the vin number and put it on a form which will be given to me. Then because insurance is required to get a state inspection sticker, that's next. Then the inspection where I will get a form showing that it passed. Then the County Tax office where they will give me a lot of negative attitude and reasons why they can't give me a title. Be patient and persistent. Hand them the Bill Of Sale where you bought it, the inspection forms from the state and the police department. AND, in Texas you must have proof of the year it was made and the brand. If they still wont give you a title and tags, go to a County Judge, present the paperwork you have and ask for a Court Order, ordering the County to give you title and registration. It gets aggravating and you will want to call them a few names, but it can be done.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:37:11 am »
Dennis,

Can you post a link to your states requirements?
I would like to track requirements in each state and post them as a sticky topic.
I think that Texas is a good start for the list.  :D

Thanks,

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:14:26 am »
Steve, If there is a link, they have it hid. Absolutely none of the people in the County Tax office, the DMV, nor the Police Department agreed on how to handle the paperwork. On the trailer I went through the same process as I will follow with the Legend. The big hang up on the trailer was Brand and Year and I had to go before the County judge to get that resolved.

I can find the safety inspection requirements and will send them to you. People will need to have the Vin number on the Bill of sale and the year it was made. US Legend told me what year mine was built from the Vin number.

Offline Jewellc64

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:26:44 am »
Thanks guys, I figured it would be hard to get specific information due to variances in state laws and such but this is great info. I've searched a little but the only thing I've found out for a fact is that windshield wipers are not required if only driven in fair conditions. I believe there is a guy in Washington who has a street legal car but haven't been able to get any info from him yet.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 11:07:03 am »
We would sure be interested in hearing about the procedure and any specific problems you have in your state. Our goal is to get those retired cars out of the barn and on the street.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »
Jewellc64,

I received the following message from El Gringo this morning:
"I did find out something new on registration which the tax office will not tell you. The car can be registered as a Replica and the title will say 1937 Chevrolet Coupe Replica. It cuts out the police check of the vin number but I have to take it to a ASE Certified mechanic for an inspection and he is suppose to check the welds on the frame and if it has road worthy components for steering and brakes along with the usual lights and horn kind of stuff."

Perhaps this could be useful to you in your search to title your car.

Steve

Offline Jewellc64

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 04:16:32 pm »
I did a little searching and found this for Washington.
https://www.dmv.com/wa/washington/custom-vehicle-registration

It seems custom/home built replica would be the way to go about this. The only thing that concerns me is this-
"The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled."

I could get a certificate of origin if I bought the car/frame new I'm sure but getting a used car this is hit or miss but it does say on vehicles that have already been titled so I'm not sure if the certificate of title would be from the state patrol or if I would have to find the required original documentation.

I looked up the state patrol inspection for wa state
http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/vinspect.htm

Under both kit cars, and homemade cars the rule on airbags states "if originly installed in your car, airbags must be included and in working order" the fact that these are replicas of 37's airbags were not included and should be excluded from the airbag rule to my understanding of this which is good because that would be a big hurdle to try to install airbags.

It also states " *** Exemptions may apply to vehicles licensed as Street rod, custom, vehicles manufactured prior to Jan 1938, or constructed to resemble a vehicle manufactured prior to Jan 1938" which means some items listed may not be required. I think the inspection will vary from state to state. Best bet would be to call the state patrol and figure out specifics.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 08:21:51 pm »
Jewellc64,

I don't expect to get through the system on the first try because it seems that the people they hire for those jobs couldn't fold a paper airplane and make it fly so they can't see how you possibly could. You really have to get your head right to deal with them. Don't let them get to you and always ask where you go next, the little creep I had to deal with seemed to enjoy giving me instructions so I let him. Then you can say, you told me I had to do this or that.

Think of it as a game, that you plan on winning.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 01:18:05 am »
Jewell,

If you buy a legends race car with a title and vin plate, then you have your certificate of origin. If you buy a race car without a title or vin, shouldn't be a big deal; As the car has never been titled for street use before.

I seriously doubt you would need to worry about airbags.

I posted your links to my list. Thank You for sharing!

Steve

anything