Author Topic: Loose Shifting Linkage  (Read 8926 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Loose Shifting Linkage
« on: May 10, 2017, 01:28:52 pm »
Other than the heim joints, there seems to be a lot of wiggle in the shifter going through the console and around the bell crank area at the forward end and the shift lever on the shift shaft going into the engine has a lot of wiggle. I know the lever on the shift shaft should be tight or it will eat up the splines.

How tight should all of this be?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Loose Shifting Linkage
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 01:50:49 pm »
It's a pretty poor piece of engineering! There is a bell crank that has a bearing in it that is available on eBay. There are also some different options on the shift lever itself that might help for road use. Other than that; Make sure your heims are good. Do you have the aluminum or steel shift lever on the engine side? I have not heard good results with the aluminum one. I think that there will still be a bit more slop in the linkage than we are used to in normal street vehicles.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 01:56:43 pm »
I am not sure if this will help; But SCCA requires washers on either side of the heims in case of failure of the heim. There are better heims available than the stock stuff that come with the race car from USLCI (Old 600 Racing for those that don't know that they made a name change a few years back.).

Steve

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 02:04:43 pm »

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 06:05:15 pm »
Thanks, I ordered them.

Dennis

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:02:27 am »
Randy sent me the parts but he made a mistake in assuming I was of at least average intelligence. So, now I get to ask, on which side do the spacers go.

Now look folks, you're going to have to quit being bashful, if I'm bold enough to tell you I don't know which way is up, you need to take pity on fools with tools and keep me on the right track. So, step right up, you can ridicule me all you want but please help me out. I told my wife I could do this so before she kicks my butt and takes my car away, I need to get this project going.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 01:52:27 pm »
LOL! I am sure that Randy could answer that question better than I can. I am not that far along yet in my project. The idea is to get the linkage working in a straight line and moving smoothly.

Steve

Offline RPM

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 05:23:49 pm »
The spacers have the thicker of the two (smaller diameter spacer) against the side that is recessed to hold the bearing the larger diameter spacer will have teh "crown" part go againt the side that the bearing is flush with.Hopefully this makes sense. Pictures are too large and won't let me load.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 04:53:32 pm »
Pictures, maybe

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:12:12 pm »
Yeah Buddy, I can post pictures now. When I get my car back from the brake shop I'll post some of the hydraulic e-brake.

Offline RPM

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 11:32:22 am »
Yes those pictures are the proper way for the crank spacers.

anything