Author Topic: Bethel Gear  (Read 5802 times)

Offline irace24

Bethel Gear
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:50:38 pm »
Hi all,

Looking into possibly running Bethel NY.  I see in the forums they recommend a 3.58 in 3rd.  I've currently got a 3.42 in my car.  Is there any way I could run a 3.42 in 3rd and at least run respectably until a swap over to the 3.58?  It looked like the ratios were close.  Also, how involved is switching gears in these cars?

Let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Bethel Gear
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:22:11 am »
Yep, 3.58 is the recommended gear (in 3rd).
Can you run the 3.42? Yes.
I guess it depends on if you are hitting the rev limiter and your driving style. Have you practiced with the 3.42 gear?

Switching gears is easy breezy if you have the whole pumpkin to switch out. If you've never done it before; Give yourself about 2 hours. Once you've done it; It will take you an hour or less. Draining the gear lube seems like it takes forever. lol! If you are changing just the ring and pinion it is a lot more involved. Get someone who knows how to do it right to teach you.

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline ZForceRacing01

Re: Bethel Gear
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:00:18 am »
No, You will be like 25 points off in final drive. 3.42 has a final drive of 5.37 in 3rd gear. 3.58 is 5.62 in final drive. They will kill you of the corner.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous