Author Topic: Skid Plate For Steering Rack  (Read 5892 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Skid Plate For Steering Rack
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:58:03 pm »
I just talked to a guy from Wisconsin ( I think ) about some problems with driving on the street. He said that the steering rack was very susceptible to damage from dips in streets. Think, BIG skid plate. He also said that his car was titled and tagged in Montana with few problems and when he moved he ran into lots of big problems and he could not drive it on the streets.

Where I live, in Texas the requirements are so rigid I can't imagine having problems once it is accomplished here.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Skid Plate For Steering Rack
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 01:31:56 pm »
These cars do sit pretty low to the ground!
There is a 1/4" thick steering rack plate available through USLC dealers.
And, some gusseting can also be done to help strengthen the steering rack plate.

A few years back, we had some engineering students that put 15" wheels and tires on their auto cross racer. Other than making adaptors for the wheels to fit the 4x4.5" hubs, I am not sure what they had to do to fit the wheels and tires under the car or how it affected the cars handling. They did run the car in several SCCA auto cross events. I assume there were some front end alignment issues to be worked out and also a gearing change. They did run racing tires that were low profile, so I do not know how much height (ground clearance) was added to the chassis. Just food for thought!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything