Author Topic: Lifting A Legend Car  (Read 9839 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Lifting A Legend Car
« on: April 16, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »
Now that I have a car, I want to lift it up so my back don't quit on me. I have a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift that measures 27" wide by 87" long. I am thinking of welding up a ladder looking device made of 1-1/2" square tube to bolt to the lift so it will be about as long as the car. I have not tried it yet and the pump may not be up to it.

I would really appreciate any ideas that others have come up with. I know I can buy a lift for around $1,500 but I would rather spend that 1,500 on parts for the car. So, how do I do it? Your ideas are needed so, come on now help this poor ole cripple man raise the car.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Lifting A Legend Car
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:06:46 pm »
There are a few old threads about this. Check out this thread: http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=115.0
Perhaps that will give you ideas.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 07:26:07 pm »
Steve, many of those links are dead, since it is a 2007 posting I guess that's understandable. The one selling plans didn't look real trust worthy in the way it used credit cards. The one that really looked cheap and easy was posted by a guest user and he never did come back with the details of the build.

The search goes on.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:10:12 pm »
El Gringo, Northern Tool sells a Atlas high lift pallet jack for $650. Minimum lift 3 1/4" & maximum lift 33", 2200 lb. capacity. I have a similar lift in my shop for past several years, works great.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:45:05 am »
57X,  The shipping to my zip code 79108 is 326.52 for a total of 976.51  I may get one but I'll try a few things first.
 Thanks for the information.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 12:33:18 pm »
I think the high lift pallet jack is a pretty slick idea.
Check eBay, perhaps Craigslist or even local auctions.
Your idea of bolting on a ladder type device sounds like it might be an option as well.

Steve

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:25:36 pm »
El Gringo, Check out link below. This is pallet jack I have. Back in 2010, it was shipped to my house in Wisconsin for $88.00. I can spin entire car around in shop with car on this jack. Also, comes in handy for other jobs around the house.

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/material-handling/pallet-trucks-jacks/skid-lifts/hercules-manual-high-lift-pallet-positioner-pallet-truck-3300lb-capacity

Good luck!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:33 am »
 I checked with the Fork Lift dealers and watched Craig's List for a couple of days. I already had the Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift and used it for years without any problems. I looked in the latest sales flyer from my main source of all the tools you need, and they had the motorcycle lifts on sale. Lucky me, I only had to pay $329 for another lift on sale.

These lifts are heavy and come in a plywood crate which three Harbor Freight employees and one less than brilliant fork lift driver gently placed in my van. My plan was to open the crate in my van and remove the pieces and an hour later there it was right beside my old one.

The real problem came when I started removing the remains of the crate from the van. I pulled it out until I could set the end down. I grabbed it by one of the sides and started lifting it, the side came off, I tripped and stepped on the end which catapulted me forward and down. This is where I met the concrete driveway with my head, right hand and left knee. I laid there for a couple of minutes checking for broken parts. That's when I discovered that my head was bleeding. I ran in the house screaming for Polly to help me because I had just killed myself. My head started growing a goose egg and we went to the emergency room, Cat scan, X-Rays on my knee and wrist, you're fine get out of here. Two days later both eyes are black, knee is hurting but just when I move it. Did I mention that I'm way over 70

The car is up on the lifts, waiting on parts, life is good.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:50 am »
LOL!
I have stopped many a fall with my face.
Upside.... Your car is lifted up and now you can work on it at a comfortable level.
Get Polly to push you up to the car in your wheelchair and get to work!

Life IS Good!

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 03:51:56 pm »
Here is what two motorcycle lifts and one Legend car

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:39:20 am »
Looks like that worked out well for you!
Are those the lifts from Harbor Freight?

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 07:04:26 am »
The lifts worked fine and it's a very solid method. Raising it could have been better coordinated, the jack on the new lift was a bit faster than the old one so we stopped a few times to check the level from side to side. Once it's raised you put the safety bar in place which stops it from lowering when the jacks bleed off. This is the low position, the high position would add another 6 to 8 inches.

The foot pump is on the same side of each lift so I need to get a piece of square stock welded to the rod on one of them so I can put the pedal on the opposite side. Other than lifting it to transport it, I don't see a problem. My little Miller MIG welder can probably do it but I'm not real good with heavy material. Maybe I'll ask around and find one of my friends to come over and do it so I don't have to lift it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:48:59 pm »
Is there a way to tie the lines together so that both sides raise at the same rate?

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 02:20:55 pm »
No, it uses bottle jacks laying on their sides and the foot pump is operating it like a lever normally would.