Author Topic: Street Legal  (Read 14307 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Re: Street Legal
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 12:39:50 pm »
Update, I took the trailer to the police inspection and the man asked what the story on it was and I gave it to him. He looked around for the data tag and found a place that had at one time been one of those metal foil stickers. It was underneath on the frame. He looked at the four digits stamped in the trailer hitch area and told me that without a brand and year he could not give me the paper work to proceed with. He told me I might take it around to different trailer places and ask if they knew. So I did that and both places told me other than it was a black car hauler, they had no idea. So I put my rolling scrap metal in my backyard while I try to find some help.
 Any comments?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 02:26:13 pm »
A couple of things you do know: It's a black car hauler and at least 15 years old.   ;D
Do you have any paperwork what-so-ever from the guy you got the trailer from? Bill of sale/ trade...
Do you know how long he had the trailer before the trade?
Did you, or can you, get written statements from the trailer places that you took it to? Something stating that they are not sure of manufacturer or exact age.
Would they be willing to title the trailer as a home built?
Just a few random thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 07:40:03 pm »
I called the State DMV in Austin and told them the whole story, they sent me to the Regional Service Center. I knew you could get quick copies of a car title there if you had the tag number but I guess they do other stuff. They called the police officer and told him to give me the Form so I could proceed with a Title Hearing. That means I get to jump through some more hoops and wait a long time and possibly be out of luck. The bottom line is, in Texas if you lose the title and the tag and you have no Vin number they can not look in their computer and get the information. Working from your name wont work, working from the tag number will.

On the up side, I will have some experience for going through most of the same problems getting a tag for a Legend. Now I have to check on trailer rentals because if at all possible I'm still going to get that car.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 01:05:13 am »
Well, at least you are making some progress.

You might check how much trailer rental is by the day vs renting one way.

Sounds like titling a street legal Legends car is going to be a major pain there.
If the car comes with a Title and Vin# that may help some. Be sure to get a bill of sale, keep receipts and take lots of pictures as you build it for street use.
That way you will have documentation for the build.

Good Luck!

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »
Another update, The county tax office and the DMV locked down on me and told me that without the brand name and the year the trailer was made, I was up the crick without the stick. I went before the county Judge, showed all the forms I had, then answered a few simple question and she said it looked to her that I had done everything I possibly could and then gave me a Court Order directing the County and the DMV to issue me a new VIN number, Title, and Tag.

Today I went to Tulsa and brought back my new to me 37 Ford Coupe. The guy also gave me four extra chrome wheels, an extra chassis, an extra coupe body, a new left side body section and four old fenders that he no longer planned to use.

Maybe my luck is changing.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 10:11:52 pm »
Hahaha!!! SWEET!
Good luck with your project.

Steve