Author Topic: Street Legal  (Read 14316 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Street Legal
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:33:44 pm »
Hello Everyone, I am doing some very serious thinking about buying an older 37 Ford Coupe car to convert to a toy. I want to harass some of my old hotrod friends by driving it to the cruise nights. I have just about found the answer to most my questions but can not figure out if the generator will put out enough power to support the lighting. If it has not been modified I think it would. I have a gazillion lights on my Goldwing with no problem. Once I convert it, it will never race again because I'm 72 years old. I have the knowledge and skills to do the work if my back does not quit on me.
 So, anyone know about the generator?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Street Legal
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:53:40 am »
There are several street legal legends cars running around the country. To the best of my knowledge, they are using the stock alternator.
There is a good Facebook page, Street Legal Legends Cars, that you may want to check out.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:54:43 pm »
I looked on Facebook and found the group you mentioned. I found just what I wanted, contacted the Lady in Alabama that listed it for sale, and now she doesn't want to sell it. The search goes on.
 I wonder how a person could install a speedometer in a Legend car?

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:16:49 pm »
El Gringo,  You may want to contact this person as this street legal Legend car has been for sale for awhile now. Good luck!

http://www.racingjunk.com/Dwarf-Legends/182269820/STREET-LEGAL-LEGEND-RACE-CAR-1937-Chevy-Sedan.html?page=5&categoryId=73&offset=40&from=category

Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 02:17:04 pm »
There is a guy here in Montana that had his street legal legends car for sale. I have no clue if he still has it or not.
It's fairly easy to title a car here in Montana. Some states have tighter restrictions on "kit cars" or "home built" cars.
Regardless; They are fairly easy to convert.

As for a speedometer; Just use the stock speedo from the bike and have a cable made to fit or do some testing and drive with the tach. If your rocketing past traffic, you are likely going too fast. LOL!!! Get ahold of some of the people on the site and ask what they do.

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:43:03 pm »
Legend57X, I really want a coupe and prefer the 37's over the 34's. which means it's probably going to be an older car. Old don't bother me because I've passed that stage and working on ancient.
 There seems to be some Legend activity in eastern Oklahoma which would be closest to me in Amarillo Texas. If anyone knows those guys tell them I'm looking. I have found the 95 car located in Tulsa and will probably get it if he still has it when I can make time to go get it. But, you can never have too many parts. My hobbies run to the extreme and I have about 50 guitars left over from my music days, a Goldwing, a Sportster, and a Chopper that I still ride. But, I still have some room left in my work shop I need to fill up.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:03:16 am »
Check the Just Legends page on Facebook and also www.racingjunk.com. You should be able to find some cars in Texas.
Dave and Justin Comer, Joplin, Mo. (MoLegends,  (417) 499-2225) usually have a few cars for sale as well.

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:56:42 am »
I have looked in those places, racingjunk.com is where I found the car in Tulsa. That car will work and I hope to get it. I have not used my car trailer in at least 10 years and the laws have changed in Texas on trailers with a capacity of over 4,000 pounds. I have to take my trailer to the police station to have the (non existing) Vin number checked. I traded a 16 foot cargo trailer and cash for it about 15 years ago and neither of us had a title as it was not needed in those days. I called yesterday to find out how to get it done and they only do it on Wednesdays at 9:00 AM and yesterday was Wednesday so I have to wait a week. And, I also need to replace all four tires on the trailer due to weather cracks. If he still has the car when I get sorted out, I'll get it.

It would seem that there would be a lot of cracked and broken fenders for the older coupes laying around somewhere. I would like to find some because I know I want to add some width to the stock fenders and it would be a lot easier if I could cut the needed material from old fenders. The few street legal cars I have found do not have enough text and pictures to see how they were built. I have built a lot of custom cars in my younger years so I'll get it done but seeing what others have done makes it easier.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 01:28:44 pm »
El Gringo, Just thought you might want to get in touch with the guy in Wisconsin as that car is equipped as listed with a speedometer that you were asking about and maybe he could help you out with that.  I personally do not the gentlemen who has this car of sale. Good luck!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 02:52:24 pm »
Great idea, I'll get on it right now.

Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 03:13:41 pm »
If you buy that car in Tulsa; It might be worth renting a trailer to pick it up. Will cost a lot less than trying to get your trailer licensed and new tires. ???

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 04:41:31 pm »
Legends57X, I never got a reply from the guy. He may be one of those who does not like to share what he knows.

justfreaky, I'm going to get the title straight and the inspection and tag. I'll find out on this trip how it works with the small car. Back when I was into street rods I had some nice cars and won a peoples choice award with 3 different cars. I always thought it was the displays that we built to go with our cars. I have a mini chopper with a 250cc Honda engine that would look good placed with the car at the shows we enter. The bike wont take up much space on the trailer but I'm thinking about some age 10 mannequins, maybe dress one as a biker and a girl mannequin as the car driver. I know it sounds crazy but it is a lot of fun coming up with new ideas. We once had four little characters made from coat hanger wire covered with pipe insulation, with instruments that was our band. I think I still have them in one of the storage sheds. It's not about winning, it's about fun.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:09 pm »
Sounds like fun! I haven't done the car shows in a few years now. How the car is displayed does make a difference. Makes it fun for the people enjoying the show. They will remember your car, bike and display! People really enjoy these little cars!

I have a mini trike project I am working on. It's an interesting conglomeration of parts! LOL!
My main focus is on the new car though. This will likely be my last race car build.

Have fun with your project and enjoy the new people you are going to meet!!!

Steve

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:13:14 am »
Justfreaky,  I now have new inner and outer wheel bearings and seals on the trailer Also a new right tail and stop light. The wiring was bare in several places so it was replaced. The bearings were rusted on some and the rollers froze on others. I had no safe way of raising the trailer so I took it to a shop. That and three new tires was $578.59. Tomorrow is the police inspection and I have heard from a few people that I need to show up with a smile and be very nice to the female officer or I might have to post a bond equal to the trailer value, just in case it is stolen. I think they have a legal scam going. I was also warned to take a cashiers check to Oklahoma instead of cash because if the law stopped me they could claim it is drug money and keep it. Another legal scam
 I have been watching racingjunk.com and searched Craig's list within a thousand miles. I have not found anything with the right look and price other than the Tulsa car. I'm sure I will have several thousand dollars over the cost of the car in it before I have to take it to the nice police lady because it does not have a title.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:10 pm »
Not sure of the laws to title a kit car or home built vehicle in your state. It is fairly easy in Montana. You may want to ask some questions about that while you are speaking to the nice female officer (smile on your face, of course).

Bringing a cashiers check is more of a safety issue for yourself. Most people don't tend to travel with thousands in cash in their pocket. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there.

Steve