Author Topic: shock placement  (Read 6171 times)

Offline late8

shock placement
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:26 pm »
what is the difference effects in mounting the rear shocks inboard or outboard on the frame?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: shock placement
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:45:24 pm »
I was hoping one of our chassis guys would jump in and give you a good answer. All that I know is that it (angle) has to do with the effectiveness on the shock.
I believe that mounting the shock outboard allows more body roll.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:14:46 pm »
I am not a chassis expert by any means, but I have tried mounting rear shocks both inboard and outboard on rear of frame. I could not tell any tell any difference in performance, so I just went back to mounting them outboard. Much easier to change or adjust rear shocks that way.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

fastfred02

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:43:41 am »
Mounting the shock on the inside reduces the effective spring rate and shock stiffness, because it increases the angle from vertical.

If the spring was moving in the same line as the wheel, for every inch the wheel moves, the spring moves an inch also. If it was at a 45° angle, the spring might compress half as much for the same wheel travel. So if you have a 200#/in spring, it would take 200 pounds to compress the spring one inch in the first scenario, but only 100 in the second. If the spring was completely horizontal, it would essentially show a 0#/in rate at the wheel, and just fall over on that wheel (I like to think in extremes).

I don't have a lot of racing experience, so there could be more to it that I don't understand yet, but I did get an A in statics  8)