Author Topic: Oil pressure and temp.  (Read 6875 times)

Offline DLR96

Oil pressure and temp.
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »
What the correct pressure reading for a fj1250 and what would be the the oil temp during a dirt track race.
Ball park figures are fine would also like to know what should be the minimum pressure

Offline Legends57x

Re: Oil pressure and temp.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »
DRL96...Sorry, but this is kind of a loaded question that has numerous variables that will determine what you can expect the oil pressure of your engine to be. Age of the engine, type of oil system including remote systems such as the HSR system, shimming of oil pump bypass spring, type & viscosity of oil you are using, cooling of the oil in general due to size & type of oil cooler, engine cooling accessories, etc. all can affect oil pressure.  What I can tell you is that will see approx. 50-80 PSI when engine is first started cold & idling and when engine is hot coming off track, oil pressure will be approx. 0-20 PSI at idle again depending on all mentioned above. During the race at high RPM & engine HOT, oil pressure should be approx. 50-60 PSI, but again that again can vary due all the above. Hope this helps!  :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline DLR96

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:43:44 pm »
Thats all I'm after...ball park....thanks

Offline Andrew Williams

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:21:22 am »
Hey DLR96,

We run a fan on the oil cooler only and come in 280-300 deg f and oil pressure around 20-25psi after the feature.

Without a fan we have often pegged the temp at 340 deg f with oil pressure 20psi.

In saying that i have found depending where we are racing to what the temp is. Higher altitude lower temp.

I dont like these temps but we put big blower fans on the car asap when it returns to the pits and let the fans cool the motor down then turn it off.

Ive often wondered what the ball park was and i think we are way outside but it is what it is.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Offline DLR96

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 06:14:14 pm »
Thanks Andrew..
Ball park figures are what I'm after, if we run below 137c then I'm guessing that's OK.
Cheers

Offline DLR96

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:24:04 pm »
So after a bit of research I'm guessing 110c to120c on dirt may be ok.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:45:22 pm »
Oil temps get really high. I guess that's why most don't run a gauge for it.
Then again; I don't know anybody that is going to let off the gas just because the oil light comes on.
An all or nothing situation.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything