Author Topic: Stripped Threads on Spark Plug  (Read 6404 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Stripped Threads on Spark Plug
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:48:28 am »
Hey Guys,  I was just reading the other thread on stipped threads :-) and I have a spark plug hole that is starting to strip.  I pulled the original spark plugs that were in there from buying the car and number 2 was very tough to get out.  I went to put the new one in and it was tough.  I did not put it all the way in and pulled it out again and noticed the threads starting to stripe.  Would I have to take the head off or could it be retapped in the car?  My Father in Law just had a fan switch installed in his 36 hot rod and the guy drilled the whole and tapped it while the motor was still in tact.  He had a special way of cleaning out the shavings.

Offline JGRacing

Re: Stripped Threads on Spark Plug
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:07:28 am »
I wonder if you can put a small tube on the end of a shop vac hose to clean the cylinder out afterwards.  Maybe have the engine turned so that the exhaust valve is open so it does not create a vacuum in the cylinder.   

Offline Shawnben

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:43:08 pm »
If it was mine I would bring that piston all the way up and run a thread chaser through the hole. Then Blow the cylinder out with compressed air and make sure you use anti sieze on the spark plug. Don't use a regular tap make sure its a tread chaser.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:47:45 pm »
I have a Heli-Coil tool that has a stepped tap that taps the hole out to the proper size for the Heli-Coil insert. I open the intake valves, remove the carbs and blow shop air into the intake. The chips come flying out the flute of the tap.  When I am done I have a piece of steel brake line that goes on my blow gun which I use to blow in the cylinder removing any of the chips that did not blow out during the tapping process. I then spin the engine over with the plugs out to make sure anything left gets blown out of the exhaust port. The hardest part of the whole process is getting the "tang/tab" off of the insert. I have modified a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the tang/tab and then I strike the other side to break it off.

Over the years I have probably done close to 100 repairs this way. I don't know of any other way to repairt the threads in the car.

Also, you should never use anti-seize on the sparkplugs. The oils in the anti-sieze compound burns away leaving the metallic part of the compound to gall the threads when the plugs are removed. The biggest problem I have found that creates this issue is that the spark plugs do not stay tight. They must be tightened after every race night. The aluminum and steel expand at different rates and the sparkplugs come loose. I have found by tightening the plugs during the nut & bolt session before an event, the plugs will be loose most of the time. Keep them tight and they should not gall the threads, thus damaging them when the plug is removed.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 09:18:07 am »
Put grease on the tap before tapping the hole.  Most of the chips will stick to the grease.  Remove the tap a few times during tapping to clean it out and re-grease it.  When done, do as was instructed with the air hose blowing through the intake port with spark plug out.  Spray some WD-40 into the intake WHILE shooting the air into it and it will clean everything out.

FunFunFun

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 09:20:09 pm »
I know I'm new, but why not pull the head ?

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:36:09 am »
If it's a sealed engine, pulling the head is not an option.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:37:12 am »
Chris,

Read the rules on sealed engines.
They don't allow you to do much!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.