Author Topic: Brake Pads, oval and road course.  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Legends16

Brake Pads, oval and road course.
« on: June 28, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »
Hey guys,

So I know this has been discussed a million times, there's been all sorts of threads on this. To my credit, I've looked through a great deal of them but I'm still a bit confused at to what I need.

I run the old stock Toyota front brakes in my legend car. I run a combination of asphalt oval events and New Hampshire motor speedways 1.6 mile road course. After having a couple of issues with the brakes in the car I've decided to get some new front pads.

I realize that a sticky pad is ideal for road racing but not as much for the oval. People have recommended TBM (Brake Man) brake pads among others. What I really want is a good pad that will work well in both conditions, air on the side of caution for oval events. Can some one recommend a pad and provide a link or part number for it? Again, looking to do just the front at this time. Just a bit confused with all of the info out there.

Thanks Guys,

Eric

Offline dlacey82

Re: Brake Pads, oval and road course.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:24:10 pm »
I use carbotech pads with the old toyota calipers, they are pricey but they have been awesome. They've been on my car since 2013 and still have half the pad left. I drove my teammates car who has the new wilwood setup and the brakes felt about the same to me. I only run short ovals so idk if these would work for you or not but they have been great for me.

Derek Lacey
#33 Loosewheel Racing

Offline Legends16

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:29:42 pm »
Thanks Derek,

A few have pointed me in the direction of TBM pads. I'm just trying to figure out which pad I need and then figure out if thats the price I want to pay. Anyone else?

Thanks,

Eric

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:55:35 am »
Cobalt 4's
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline EJR51

• facebook.com/ericjonesracing
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 02:44:59 pm »
I ran the same pads on oval (3/8th, not much brake) that I run on road courses (VIR, Summit Point), Carbotech.  I haven't had any issues, and both road courses have rather aggressive braking zones.  I just switched to the Wilwood calipers from the stock, but haven't been on track, yet.  Will provide feedback as appropriate.
Eric Jones
#51 FreedomBehindTheWheel.org
Virginia

Offline frantzracing0

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:02:27 pm »
ran cobalts for years....this year we switched to the cobalt xr4 and ive never experienced a better brake. They are fantastic

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 01:17:51 pm »
Just curious....Where are you purchasing the cobalt xr4 pads from? Thanks!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:46:58 pm »
We use the same rear brakes shoe for both oval and R/C on the legends cars.

But for the front you have to use a different pad to be successful. The road race pad on the oval car is just too aggressive. it is this was because the speeds required to slow from are much greater on the R/C compared to oval. We tried the use the R/C pad on the oval car but just experience to much lock up.

Next time you are at the races, at least R/C, look up Bob Weymouth. He uses the RPM brake pads exclusively after trying all other options.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Brakes%3APFoval
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Brakes%3APFroad
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Brakes%3APFSS

Randy - RPM