Author Topic: Setrab Oil cooler repair.  (Read 11717 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Setrab Oil cooler repair.
« on: July 06, 2016, 07:27:23 pm »
I have a leak on my oil cooler. Standard Setrab 3 pass. Leak started slow, but is now unraceable. Can a radiator shop repair these things, I don't see why not. This thing has never been damaged from a wreck, it just started leaking for no reason. 

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Setrab Oil cooler repair.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:09:46 am »
Hi John,

I would think the radiator shop should be able to repair it and then pressure test it for you after the repairs. That would be my first stop.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 11:09:59 am »
I have had two of the Setrab oil coolers over the past five years of my Legends racing and both developed leaks near base mounting plates.  These coolers are not user friendly for racing as they seem to fatigue due to vibration and stress as they are solid mounted for the most part.  I even used extra long threaded rod with spacers to capture both top and lower mounts, but had same result.  I have since switched over to the Fluidyne double pass oil cooler(available at Summit Racing for <$220), mounted it with rubber grommets and never had further oil leak issues.  Fluidyne cooler is a much more robust design and better cooling IMO.  As far as your original question, I have not heard of anyone repairing the Setrab coolers.  Due to the nature of oil passing thru it, I would think it would have to be thoroughly flushed with solvent, allowed to air dry for some time, before attempting to repair.  Not worth the risk in my mind.  Good luck!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justaoke

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:10:12 pm »
Legends57x-- Do you have a part number for that at Summit?? Thanks!

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »
Summit Racing Part Number: FLD-DB-30317-RTF  $217.55 free shipping & handling.  Hope this helps!  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justaoke

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »
Thanks!!

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 03:03:53 pm »
I am going to check into getting a fluidyne cooler but I do have an answer on the fixing the leaking cooler.

They cannot be fixed, I guess oil is too deep into the pores of the aluminum. I guess this prevents and patchwork that can be done. 
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:51:18 pm »
If you use rubber mounts with the Setrap, you won't have leak with them either. It's the vibration. I believe the instruction to use some sort of rubber mount

Robert

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:15 am »
Never had a Setrab leak in 9 years of dirt racing. Mount them correctly to isolate vibration as instructed and they are fine
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/