Author Topic: fans  (Read 9125 times)

Offline late8

fans
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:45 pm »
I have fans on my oil cooler and nothing on the top of the motor. Is this a bad set up ? ...tell me your opinion ..thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: fans
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:59:41 pm »
Anything that keeps the engine cooler is a help. The fans on top of the engine are to help cool the cylinder heads and around the cylinders (especially the two closest to the firewall).
Do a search on engine cooling. If you need help I can look up the threads for you and give you some links.

Myself, I purchased two fans that will be set up for top of the engine.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:24:59 am »
I've only been using 1 fan in the front of the car for the last 2 years with no issues. If I have enough time between runs, I try to cool off the front of the engine, then move the fan around to the exhaust side and blow through the wheel well. Most of the time, its just on the front though.

All the top teams seem to be cooling the front and top of the engine, as well as all 4 wheels/brakes.
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:36:28 am »
That back cylinder near the firewall always worries me, I run the top fans with nothing on the cooler, being in the back, and the firewall right there, I wonder if any air really reaches the back/top of the motor unless you have a fan there.

I wonder if at full speeds if fans on the cooler are  actually restricting  the amount of air that travels through the cooler, if running through the air at 80 + mph is way more air than a fan could produce. 

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:51 am »
We got a 4inch marine fan from bass pro, same as a brake duct fan. We mounted in between 3 and 4 since they get the hottest. Ran the bracket right off the heat shield the coils are mounted to. A lot of guys are running two, but I think cylinders 1&2 do ok with my cooler fan.

Plus I have been running my fans during the race, I have not seen any difference in my lap times.   
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline Legends16

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:16:20 pm »
     Lots of different answers here. I find this topic very interesting. I've seen fast race winning cars with one fan, no fans and two fans on the top of the engine. If you search on here you will find a lot of interesting information.

Myself I run a cooling duct on my hood that aims at the back two cylinders. My ductwork has a small piece of tin glue to it that acts as a louver. Per the rulebook you are allowed this as long as it does not exceed 3/8th inches tall.

I also have a 4 inch bulge pump fan bolted to the firewall behind the air filters that blows air across the backside of the engine. This was an idea I had found on here and I have to say really works well.  If you do this, keep in mind that you are not allowed to blow any air into the carbs per the rulebook, so mount it in a way that is very obvious that you are not doing so. I leave this fan on all race long.

I also have the standard bumper air duct on the drivers side with a tube pointed just underneath the headers.

I have the standard old style Setrab oil cooler with a fan. The fan only works well under caution or when the car is stopped.

I've have since seen the new and improved top end fan setup that Hank Scott is selling and I think its the bomb. Much wider than the old fans, it covers all of the fins and more on the top of the engine.  Plus you do not need to cut holes in the hood either. The brackets are machined to bolt to the valve cover. Its a beautiful setup. I don't have these yet.

http://shop.rrcperformanceengines.com/product-p/rrc-topfankit.htm

My setup works well for the time being though.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:39:43 pm »
Deflector for NAPA cooling duct on hood can be maximum of 3/8" tall.  Just went thru that on my car this past weekend...  I am also using a bulge fan bolted to firewall at back of engine and works well for me also.  New HSR fans look great, but I see they are temporarily out of stock. 
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Legends16

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 04:47:56 pm »
Thanks for the correction Mark, I have edited my post.  ;D

I had seen on facebook Hank was a month or two away from getting more in.

anything