Author Topic: Short Trailer... and Hello  (Read 9033 times)

fastfred02

Short Trailer... and Hello
« on: May 08, 2016, 07:59:30 pm »
Hi everyone. First post here.

I'm looking at getting into legends racing, and I want as small a trailer as possible.

How long is a legends car with the bumpers off? I'm looking at a 10' with a flip-up ramp, and I'm not sure if I need to reconfigure it.

Thanks in advance!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Short Trailer... and Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »
Welcome to the site!

I've heard people that get by with a 12' trailer. Mine is 16' I don't think tou will have  much space for spare tires, tool, parts, etc... With a 10'. I mounted a tool box on the front of mine and going to add a tire rack as well. I still have room to take my air compressor and generator. My suggestion; Get something that will be big enough to get the job done.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

fastfred02

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:41 am »
Yeah, I was hoping to put all the junk in the back of my truck to minimize trailer size.

I've discovered the frequency of my wife complaining is directly proportional to the size of trailer I have  ;)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:55:54 am »
Wait until she starts complaining because you are using the whole garage for the race car and has no place to park her car.  (An enclosed trailer helps with that issue.  ;) )
 :D :D :D

One thing you want to look at is the weight of the race car. Will the fold up ramp take that weight? What is the trailer rated to haul?
I understand the budget issue. I also have used my trailer to move other vehicles, move furniture, etc... Perhaps you can sell her on multi-uses.
I would go 14' at the bare minimum. JMHO.

Steve

Offline Legends16

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:30:52 pm »
A ten foot trailer would be a tight fit I would think. Things to keep in mind are also securing the car in the trailer. Check the weight rating of the trailer too, these cars are 1200 pounds by themselves.

I used a borrowed 16ft open trailer with a box mounted on the tongue. Its also got a winch that makes it a lot easier to load and unload. I could do it all by myself. It works well. I do dream of getting a small enclosed trailer someday.

Welcome to legends!

Eric

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 08:04:58 pm »
I have a 14 foot V nose trailer which usually means 12 foot before the V begins.  That size works great.   I can tow with a normal SUV. 

fastfred02

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:09:21 pm »
Thanks for all of the input, guys. I'm going to pick up something bigger based on your feedback.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 12:29:25 pm »
I have a 14 foot V nose trailer which usually means 12 foot before the V begins.  That size works great.   I can tow with a normal SUV. 

Very interesting. Id love to get a small enclosured trailer someday but have concerns about what I can tow with. I have am 08 Ford Explorer, what SUV are you using to tow with?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 05:04:03 pm »
2003 Dodge Durango (4.7L) Before that, I towed my trailer with a '98 Chevy Blazer (4.3)
My brother has towed this trailer with his Ford Expedition with no problems.

Steve

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 10:30:14 pm »
I have a 2002 Escalade with the 6.0L motor.   It has 200k miles on it but still pulls great.  In my experience the pulling is not the issue.  Stopping is the issue.  Make sure you get a trailer with brakes because as you load the car, tools, etc into the trailer it will get heavy.   The other thing I did was put cabinets over the wheel wells in the trailer.  I keep the heavy stuff there so it is over the axles.   Too much tongue weight will make the trailer sway back and forth and also load down the back of the SUV too much.  Hope this helps. 

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:52:19 am »
I tow a 16x7 flat front enclosed trailer with a 2003 Tahoe with the 4.8.
Sure, it would be nice to have more power, but it gets the job done
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends16

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 05:06:00 pm »
       Great info guys, and sorry if I high jacked the thread with my question.  ;D

I tow my 16ft open trailer with my stepdads F150. It tows that wonderfully. Its a borrowed trailer, the brakes on it don't work. Its missing the module and I'm pretty sure that the brake components would need to be replaced to get it working. I'm not overly concerned because the truck does a pretty good job of stopping it.

My primary vehicle is an 2008 Ford Explorer with the 4.6 V8. I've used it a few times and its fine, I just prefer the truck because it does a better job all around.

Id eventually like to get a small enclosure trailer that my vehicle could tow the legend with. I just wanted to see what you guys were doing. Trailer brakes and tounge weight make a big difference like you guys have said.

On a different not I've seen a few guys use snowmobile trailers. The box style that you can stand in (fixed roof). Its interesting because they are significantly lighter than a standard auto trailer not requiring a large truck to tow it with.

Just a thought. Best of luck!

Eric