LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

What Pinion Angle are you running?

<< < (6/6)

justfreaky:

--- Quote from: admin on June 07, 2007, 03:37:04 pm ---My Guess is that if you increase the wheelbase and don't touch the third link, your pinion angle will increase and if you decrease your wheelbase it will decrease your pinion angle.

--- End quote ---

Read all the posts in this thread. There is some Great info and insite!

True;
 My suspension will have multiple mounting points. NOT Legal for the Legends Cars.
Think about how changes to the  lower links, or upper link, change the angle. Even if only slightly.  ;)

Steve

PS.

I'll get on that book for you.

pegalis:
Ah,  but you are moving the link mount when you change the pinion angle.  Drop the pinion, and you have just moved the upper link pivot point on the axle forward, and the lower backward.  Reverse for upping the angle.
On a long WB car, this 1/2" of pivot location adjustment would do little.  But on a short WB car, with short suspension links, its a world of difference. 
The shorter the suspension links, the less adjustment is needed to see results. 
A good example:   Take a drinking straw.  Loosely grip one end with your thumb and index finer, about 1" from the end.  Now pivot the straw from the long end with your other hand, and note the distance the short end moves in relation to the long end. For every 1" of movement on the long end, there is only 1/8" on the short end. Now, do the same thing, only pivot the straw from about 1" away from your other fingers.   now, its suddenly 1/8" to 1/8" relation.
Long links, bigger adjustments.  Short links, little adjustment.

Mind you, the percentage you can get from our suspensions is only + or - 6 or 7%.   But that 6 or 7% can be the few needed seconds on the track you need to win!

As for calculating the % of AS on our chassis, I have fabricated enough custom 3 and 4 link suspensions to get a good feel for it just by looking at the link locations in relation the the axle and frame.
If you want, ill dig up the numbers and calculations and get some exact figures for you.   

MegaMang:
That would be great Pegalis.  Just trying to wrap my mind around the geometry of the linkages so I can think through what advantages I can get from adjustments.  It's one thing to read what everything does and remembering it, but another thing entirely to truly understanding it.  If I can understand it properly, I can make changes much easier to effect the results I want.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version