What Pinion Angle are you running?

(1/6) > >>

DARK AGE 53:
Anyone know?

Tom Cole:
2.5°-3°

justfreaky:
Hi Al,
 Are you asking about the actual pinion angle, or the angle of the top link? I'm getting ready to mount my rear end and am also curious.
 Dwarf Car Technology, by Steve Smith, recomends the top link be 7 to 10 degrees.
  " The upper link should be angled downhill (towards the front of the car) at a seven-degree to ten-degree angle. This promotes good traction without the problems associated with rear end lightness and wheel hop. On a Dwarf Car, with the rear pivot point of the upper trailing link setting 9 inches above the axle centerline, a 7-degree downhill angle creates 21 percent anti-squat. A 10-degree downhill angle creates 28.5 percent anti-squat."
(page 52 in my book)
 Most of the info in the book relates to both Dwarf and Legends Cars. Not a lot of difference that I can see. Legends Cars have stricter rules governing what parts must be used.
 Hope this info helps.

My best to you this season.
 Steve

DARK AGE 53:

--- Quote from: admin on May 22, 2007, 06:36:13 am ---2.5°-3°

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info, I was at less then 2.5 so I turned the top link to get me closer to those numbers.

Hey Steve, Good info also, I marked the top link just in case I need to turn it back some.

What gear are you installing, it looks like people have anywhere from two to three different gears for there cars.

Regards,
Al

Tom Cole:
Steve, I can't figure how I could change the 3rd link angle.  On my car, the lollypop and the 3rd link bracket on the rear end pumpkin are not adjustable.  All I can do is alter the length of the rod, which changes the angle, but only slightly.

Al, it is important that you check the squareness of rear end when you change the third link length.  You have to get the angle right AND get the axle square.  That is often a tricky thing .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version