Author Topic: Shifting on road course  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

Shifting on road course
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:33:48 am »
To any of the road racers out there, are you guys using the clutch when downshifting on road courses, or just brake/blip? I've only raced RC twice, and used the clutch both times, but felt like I was giving up time locking up the brakes when the clutch was in. Any advice would be fantastic.

Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline #57.se

• Flat Out
Re: Shifting on road course
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 03:22:21 pm »
Hi!

I do Road racing in Sweden with a Legends 1200 open. It is diferent driving styles out there. Left foot braking, clutch all the times. only when down shifting and so on. I can share my way and my car. The best way I think for us all is to be consist without raping the gear rod so to say. When shifting up I do not use clutch. Just quick off/on the gas pedal. (Whaaaa-click-whaaaa-click-whaaaauuu) Downshifting I use the clutch. Here it is more important for me to use clutch. I have screwed up some times in race being to full of adrenalin pushing the shifter down like crazy when on brakes into hefty corners after a straight. Result=fiasco!. Then the gears jams up, needs to clutch out and fumble even more  just to find a gear and competitors passing me and lucky if not somebody is driving straight into my tail. Be consistent and no stress is key. Shifting down: (WhOooo-clutch-shift-clunk-clutch out- WhOoo- clutch -clunk-clutch out-whooo, in parallel braking into a corner. Sometimes I also use to twist my gaspedal-foot when on the brake pedal to gas just a blitz to get up some rpm. Important wait for the typhical clunk before next downshift.  then you are good. Practice- consistent.

making any sense?

Good Luck!

#57 Rune Torp. Ford 37 sedan 1200 open. Norwegian RC racer in Sweden.
R Torp, 37 Ford Sedan 1200 open.

anything