Author Topic: Question on fender brackets  (Read 8478 times)

Offline zrod

Question on fender brackets
« on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:43 am »
Hello,

Rookie here. Just picked up my first legend and this car is really a Frankenstein. Different year parts all over the car. Anyway, I have a 34 ford coupe set up for dirt. It had a 34 ford front right fender with what I'm assuming is a 34 ford fender bracket. And a 37 chevy left front fender with a 37 ford fender bracket.

I purchased brand new 37 chevy front fenders since I have a 37 chevy grille and hood.

I guess my question is, will there be any issues when installing the new fenders and lining them up with the body and running boards? Is there a big difference between the 37 chevy and 37 ford fender brackets? From the images I saw in the 600 catalog, the 37 chevy brackets look longer than the ford. Maybe I'm overthinking it, I just dont want to start drilling holes and these things not fit right. The fenders , running boards and nerf bars were pretty beat up so I really have nothing to reference to make sure that they'll fit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Re: Question on fender brackets
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:11 pm »
I only have experience with one car. The fender bracket on mine just have the one mount hole holding it to the car. You can raise or lower it to where you want it. Make sure they are the same and set your fender on it, check for fit, mark holes and drill them. Also mine is a street car and does not have to comply with any rules.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:19:12 am »
Zrod,

A lot of the guys change the fenders, grill and hood (as per rulebook) on the '34 Fords to the '37 Chevy to get a little more air flow to help cool the engine.
What has likely happened, is that the right front fender was damaged and the previous owner didn't have a spare '37 fender to replace it with.

I would order a '37 Chevy fender bracket to be on the safe side. Nothing more frustrating than having to halt your progress to wait on parts.

In theory, everything should line up with little problem. What I have been hearing, a lot, is the new Chinese fiberglass is very thin and warps. Apparently, not a lot of quality control. I've heard of some who have had to use a little heat to get the fenders to fit properly. If you take your time and do some test fitting before drilling holes, you should be able to get it all to fit together.

Steve 

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline zrod

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:24:53 pm »
Steve,

Is there a difference between the 37 Chevy and the 37 Ford brackets? I have a ford bracket for a Chevy Fender.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 12:53:35 pm »
I do not know.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 12:58:37 pm »
The 600 parts website only shows one bracket for all of the cars

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 01:18:23 pm »
I looked up the parts diagram and it lists 3 different brackets.
AZ-40 40/30F
37 AZ-H Chevy
AZ-I 37 Ford

Just looking at the images, it does appear that there are slight differences. Perhaps contact USLC or your nearest dealer to confirm.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 01:53:22 pm »
Hey Steve, where are you finding those? I went back and looked and now I can't find any.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 02:01:17 pm »
If you look closely at fender bracket BRKT-AZ-40 40/30F, it was two mounting holes. That is the same bracket I got last time I ordered a new fender bracket and I believe two mounting holes cover selling either of the other two brackets with single holes, but I am not positive on that.  Either way, you can mount any of the fenders for any of the body styles with the two hole bracket with a little finess.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 02:07:43 pm »
OK, how can you guys find these parts and I can't? Maybe we need a list of places to find it when the place you looked ain't worth diddley squat. Or, maybe my ability to look ain't worth diddley.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 02:09:45 pm »
Thanks Mark!

Dennis,
For whatever reason, the fender brackets are listed under front suspension. ???  Anyway; Click on the "View Parts from this Group" and it gives you a menu of all the parts.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 02:15:56 pm »
OK, I have the 37 Ford brackets on my 37 Chevrolet car so we now know that will work. They are still on it but now they are headlight brackets.