Author Topic: clutch  (Read 18665 times)

Offline weepin22

clutch
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:37:07 am »
A little help is needed. I changed my clutch drum shoes and now as soon as I start the car the clutch engages and the wheels turn. I was wondering did I do something wrong or does the shoes need to break-in some to not engage the clutch until throttle is applied?

Offline mch46

Re: clutch
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:55:24 am »
Its likely that the new shoes created less clearance to the drum ( ie, your old shoes were worn down)  This would cause it to engage quicker than the old shoes.  Also, the springs may be too soft for the newer, thicker shoes.  Its also possible that the idle needs to be adjusted down so that the new shoes dont engage as quickly.  I know it sounds crazy, but new shoes that are not worn out will be "thicker", therefore heavier.  Heavier shoes get "thrown out" quicker than wornout lighter shoes.  The new heavier shoes also need a stiffer spring than worn shoes, or else they will engage much quicker.  Of course, this is all relative to the degree of wear on the old shoes, but it is still a factor to consider.  Just my .02

Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 01:23:29 am »
Did you clean your drum?
We know that the new shoes will be thicker than the old shoes . (As Mike refers to)
Does this "lock up" condition occur only on jack stands or while lifted.... Or does it also exist while the car is on the ground and loaded?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline weepin22

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:42:36 am »
Thanks for the input guys. We are new to racing and any info is huge for us!

Offline AllenSpeed

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 12:15:10 am »
I bought 2 used Bandos.  The 2 Bandos came with some extra parts.  I have went thru the clutches and decided to freshen them up. I think the clutches may have been sitting for a while.  I used a small grinding stone on a drill and went over the shoes and the drums.  I enclosed a few pictures.  I used one of the freshened clutches a few nights ago when one of the cars had a clutch explode into about 7 or 8 parts.  The clutch that exploded I had not freshened yet.

Offline AllenSpeed

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 12:19:13 am »
I also replaced the bearings, the fiber washer and the c-clip.  You can get these parts at 600 Racing Online Catalog or BMI Karts.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 04:49:25 am »
I think the grinding stone may have been a little harsh. Your pics show a very out of round and uneven surface to you drum. Usually, all that is required is a light sanding of the drum and the shoes. All you need to remove is the glaze on the shoes and drum. Emery cloth or a fine grit sandpaper are all that is usually required. Shoe thickness new is around .205. Consider replacing shoes that are .190 or less. Especially if the shoes show signs of cracking. This info comes from our good friend Ed at www.Bandostuff.com.   www.bandostuff.com/files/PDF_-_Clutch_Maintenance_04-13-09.pdf

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Steve

Offline CraterTater

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 07:42:20 pm »
Use this link to go back to the archived version of this page....you'll find the PDF Steve is referring to above along with a bunch of other useful PDFs. (Red boxes, white font at the bottom.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20161023085955/http://bandostuff.com/UsefulLinks.html

Offline CraterTater

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 07:44:06 pm »
Btw, is it possible to post PDFs on this forum or is that pushing the server space?

Thanks!

Jason

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 08:24:48 pm »
Jason,

I don't know much about this new server; But I do believe you can still post PDFs.
If you find differently, I will contact Tom and see what he can do to fix the server.

Steve

anything