BANDOLEROS > Drivetrain & Gearing

clutch

(1/2) > >>

weepin22:
A little help is needed. I changed my clutch drum shoes and now as soon as I start the car the clutch engages and the wheels turn. I was wondering did I do something wrong or does the shoes need to break-in some to not engage the clutch until throttle is applied?

mch46:
Its likely that the new shoes created less clearance to the drum ( ie, your old shoes were worn down)  This would cause it to engage quicker than the old shoes.  Also, the springs may be too soft for the newer, thicker shoes.  Its also possible that the idle needs to be adjusted down so that the new shoes dont engage as quickly.  I know it sounds crazy, but new shoes that are not worn out will be "thicker", therefore heavier.  Heavier shoes get "thrown out" quicker than wornout lighter shoes.  The new heavier shoes also need a stiffer spring than worn shoes, or else they will engage much quicker.  Of course, this is all relative to the degree of wear on the old shoes, but it is still a factor to consider.  Just my .02

Mike

justfreaky:
Did you clean your drum?
We know that the new shoes will be thicker than the old shoes . (As Mike refers to)
Does this "lock up" condition occur only on jack stands or while lifted.... Or does it also exist while the car is on the ground and loaded?

Steve

weepin22:
Thanks for the input guys. We are new to racing and any info is huge for us!

AllenSpeed:
I bought 2 used Bandos.  The 2 Bandos came with some extra parts.  I have went thru the clutches and decided to freshen them up. I think the clutches may have been sitting for a while.  I used a small grinding stone on a drill and went over the shoes and the drums.  I enclosed a few pictures.  I used one of the freshened clutches a few nights ago when one of the cars had a clutch explode into about 7 or 8 parts.  The clutch that exploded I had not freshened yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version